New here & have a question

cockadoodlemom

Crowing
16 Years
Feb 25, 2007
Texas
I have chickens already and love them! I just ordered 25 babies from McMurray and I also ordered some ducklings & goslings. Is it ok to brood all them together or should I seperate? I had a duck I raised with my chickens I have now and there were no problems but the books I have been reading say no you cant do that. If anyone has any information or advice please help. Thank You and have a Blessed Day!

HI! Welcome to the site.
I remember reading about this, though don't recall if it was on this site.
While you wait for a more knowledgeable member to reply, don't forget to check out the
'learning center' on BYC Home page!
Best of luck with your new additions, and post pictures if you can!

cockadoodlemom, welcome to BYC. The biggest problem having ducklings with chicks is the fact that ducklings love water and are very sloppy getting water all over the dry bedding when they drink. Chicks require dry bedding to stay healthy. While it is important that the down on the ducklings also stays dry because it loses it's insulation value, a waterer they can't play in is important.

I choose to feed medicated chick starter for my chicks to prevent cocci, however medicated feed can't be fed to ducklings, it can kill them. Thus feeding in my case would be a problem.

If you choose to brood together, more attention to remove the wet bedding from the messy ducklings regularly is a must. Hope this helps....

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom