New here lookin forward to learning more about my hens and rooster

Welcome to BYC lilme.

I’m not an expert on rooster behaviour, but I do know someone who is. Try to look up an article or a thread from @Shadrach if you want to learn more about rooster behaviour.
Thank you I will do that

Attachments

• 20230502_184528.jpg
    20230502_184528.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 1
So to all the members raising hens and roosters. Is it the norm for the rooster to dance on and scratch at the food when I'm feeding the hens and him. He seems like he gets mad when the hens are eating the corn when I throw it in the coop?? Anybody??
Hello and welcome to byc! I don’t have a rooster myself, but I recently watched a documentary a good rooster will stand back and let the girls eat first I hope someone helps you figure out how to maybe train him. In the meantime glad you joined.! :welcome :frow

Hello and welcome to byc! I don’t have a rooster myself, but I recently watched a documentary a good rooster will stand back and let the girls eat first I hope someone helps you figure out how to maybe train him. In the meantime glad you joined.! :welcome :frow
Thank you, he seems a little bit too aggressive ya know

So to all the members raising hens and roosters. Is it the norm for the rooster to dance on and scratch at the food when I'm feeding the hens and him. He seems like he gets mad when the hens are eating the corn when I throw it in the coop?? Anybody??
Welcome to BYC!! My rooster danced and scratched at snacks when I threw them out too, and he was a nice roo. It seems normal.

Welcome to BYC
I have a bantam cochin rooster that dances in the feed & calls the hens. He is very good natured to me, and to his ladies.
It's normal for the rooster to call the hens for food. He is their flock leader. Many hens will hang back until the rooster calls them over. I usually call my roosters to the food, give it to them, and then let them feed their hens.

Back
Top Bottom