New Horse Owner, Any tips would be welcome!

That would be really cool if you could post pictures of her! She sounds really nice. :)

The Friesian drawings I gave away... (As I do most my drawings hehe :p) But here are some of my others.... I do not mind sharing... but I am not like a really great artist or anything... I try to do realistic things... but it doesn't usually turn out as planned...
I still have fun drawing though.

I also have a bad habit of not finishing my drawings all the way... and making the noses on black horses to small... for some odd reason. :p
View attachment 1136604 View attachment 1136605

View attachment 1136606 View attachment 1136611 View attachment 1136612 The one above was staged by someone else (i.e the gourd and dead leaf thing wasn't my idea :p)

I like drawing poultry too :D The one directly below is of one of my first chickens as a pullet...
View attachment 1136608

View attachment 1136610

View attachment 1136613
Oh my goodness! What on earth are you talking about, you are amazing! My drawings aren't half as good as yours! That is some amazing talent. Those are beautiful!

Having had horses my whole life, here are my suggestions. Find perhaps a local 4H teacher or some other known expert in horses and take lessons from them. If you don't have a local 4H teacher (ours here used to teach private lessons to all who asked) see if there is a barn nearby with a good solid teacher. As far as what to ask an owner when considering buying their horse: see if you can get your instructor or some other person very knowledgeable in horses to come with you and meet the horse in person. Although it's really great that the horse you're considering looks "sweet" in photos, please realize that the owner quite naturally has a very real desire for you to buy the horse, even if it's the totally wrong horse for you. Another person with you might be able to ask some really hard questions such as, is the horse up to date on shots and worming and hoof care? Has the horse been professionally trained? What exactly has the horse been trained to do? How well does it lead? How easy is it to catch? Can they demonstrate that for you? Has the horse ever been lame, or sick? And so on....

I remember once going to see a horse, and to my complete surprise, the owner took us IN HER HOUSE, and showed the horse to me in the back yard through the window. She said that I could "see" how "gentle" the horse was. Well, it turned out the horse was plum wild and would run like crazy if a person got anywhere near her. I did not want a horse to look at out my window, LOL... Plus, how do you haul a horse to your house if you can't even get near it? Sometimes, the person is so motivated to sell, they will tell you about anything. You do have to be careful. There is a reason that we have sayings in our language like "buyer beware" and "horse trader".

Generally speaking, I advise a beginner to get a horse that is much older than 5. Don't get me wrong, there are 5-year-olds out there that are great, but just generally, a horse that is 15 is going to be a steadier mount, far more reliable, easier to handle, and will have gone through all the "silly" stages of life and have settled down. People tend to over-horse themselves, because they see a beautiful young horse and really want it. Then they end up with a horse they are scared of, and what fun is that? Yeah, sure, that horse might look really impressive and beautiful, but it's more important to be able to actually *handle* and *ride* your horse, unless you want to be like that one lady and just look at your horse out the window... ;)

All good advice! How much actual riding experience do you have? You need actual riding and horse handling skills, or lessons. Many lessons!
If you have zero experience, I'm concerned about this sale, because IMO the horse owner should be directing you towards a safe barn offering lessons immediately. If I'm mistaken, that's great, but I do wonder. Also, no horse should be alone; do you have a buddy for her already? A horse, pony, or somebody so she's not alone.
Nobody is done learning how to ride effectively; it's a lifetime work in progress, but don't jump into this without a good background in riding, and some horse handling experience.
There's a good quote; "Horses are big dumb animals, one end bites, the other end kicks." A sweet horse can still run over you just being startled by something. Mary

Having had horses my whole life, here are my suggestions. Find perhaps a local 4H teacher or some other known expert in horses and take lessons from them. If you don't have a local 4H teacher (ours here used to teach private lessons to all who asked) see if there is a barn nearby with a good solid teacher. As far as what to ask an owner when considering buying their horse: see if you can get your instructor or some other person very knowledgeable in horses to come with you and meet the horse in person. Although it's really great that the horse you're considering looks "sweet" in photos, please realize that the owner quite naturally has a very real desire for you to buy the horse, even if it's the totally wrong horse for you. Another person with you might be able to ask some really hard questions such as, is the horse up to date on shots and worming and hoof care? Has the horse been professionally trained? What exactly has the horse been trained to do? How well does it lead? How easy is it to catch? Can they demonstrate that for you? Has the horse ever been lame, or sick? And so on....

I remember once going to see a horse, and to my complete surprise, the owner took us IN HER HOUSE, and showed the horse to me in the back yard through the window. She said that I could "see" how "gentle" the horse was. Well, it turned out the horse was plum wild and would run like crazy if a person got anywhere near her. I did not want a horse to look at out my window, LOL... Plus, how do you haul a horse to your house if you can't even get near it? Sometimes, the person is so motivated to sell, they will tell you about anything. You do have to be careful. There is a reason that we have sayings in our language like "buyer beware" and "horse trader".

Generally speaking, I advise a beginner to get a horse that is much older than 5. Don't get me wrong, there are 5-year-olds out there that are great, but just generally, a horse that is 15 is going to be a steadier mount, far more reliable, easier to handle, and will have gone through all the "silly" stages of life and have settled down. People tend to over-horse themselves, because they see a beautiful young horse and really want it. Then they end up with a horse they are scared of, and what fun is that? Yeah, sure, that horse might look really impressive and beautiful, but it's more important to be able to actually *handle* and *ride* your horse, unless you want to be like that one lady and just look at your horse out the window... ;)

Wow this is great helpful info. Well, she kind of has to be young, we were planning on breeding her. And my mother used to have a horse, and I'm pretty sure she knows what to look for, and I will make a list of questions ahead of time on what to ask. I also will be sure to make the owner do everyday things before I do anything, because like you said, it's no good if the owner is refusing to do something with the horse, they may be hiding something. Are you kidding?? The lady took you inside her house to look at the horse through the window?!?!?! wow, that is messed up lol. I also rented a horse for a month a while ago, so I kind of got a feel of how it would be like if I ever did get my own horse. I had to do everything, feed, groom, exercise, all that stuff. So I am somewhat experienced, but I am not a professional.

All good advice! How much actual riding experience do you have? You need actual riding and horse handling skills, or lessons. Many lessons!
If you have zero experience, I'm concerned about this sale, because IMO the horse owner should be directing you towards a safe barn offering lessons immediately. If I'm mistaken, that's great, but I do wonder. Also, no horse should be alone; do you have a buddy for her already? A horse, pony, or somebody so she's not alone.
Nobody is done learning how to ride effectively; it's a lifetime work in progress, but don't jump into this without a good background in riding, and some horse handling experience.
There's a good quote; "Horses are big dumb animals, one end bites, the other end kicks." A sweet horse can still run over you just being startled by something. Mary
I rented one for a month, and had a few lessons, so I am somewhat experienced, not a total beginner. Umm, no pony, but we my get some goats in the future, but I will be spending plenty of time with her. This would be a dream come true, I am not just gonna sit on the couch all day, I will be with her, working with her, riding her, maybe entering a few competitions or shows down the road. We do have a dog, ducks, and chickens. That is true! You can never learn too much about how to ride a horse.

Simple buying is ride the horse before you buy it . If the seller is a good seller they will let you become familiar with the horse before excepting payment . Explain to them you don't ride and ask for help and even lessons . Look for signs of training abuse . Look for sores at the corners of the mouth where the bit rest . Does the horse handle well when ridden with a snaffle bit. The term lite handed means just that. A poor rider can ruin a well trained horse in a very short time . Horses can be flighty . A soft voice and slow movements are a must when dealing with a strange horse . Horses have a language all their own learn their language . The horses ears are connected to their brain . If the horse is nervous it's ears will be in constant motion . The head carried low ears forward the horse is relaxed . When horses greet each other they go on sent . They will get close to each other and breath in each other exhaled breath . They instantly know one another by this action . You do the same approach the horse slowly talking softly saying anything . Before you touch the horse stand nose to nose and exhale two or three times into the horses nostrils . The horse will do the same . Find the horses favorite spot to be scratched and starch it often. Usually its around the tail . Horses have poor eye sight and see best when their head is close to the ground . They spend a great deal of time grazing. Always approach a horse from the front . Let them know you are there . Be careful expect the unexpected and enjoy the wonder of owning a horse . I have trained many horses . A well trained five year old that is properly trained is just as good as a old mare with lots of years on her . It's all in the training .

Simple buying is ride the horse before you buy it . If the seller is a good seller they will let you become familiar with the horse before excepting payment . Explain to them you don't ride and ask for help and even lessons . Look for signs of training abuse . Look for sores at the corners of the mouth where the bit rest . Does the horse handle well when ridden with a snaffle bit. The term lite handed means just that. A poor rider can ruin a well trained horse in a very short time . Horses can be flighty . A soft voice and slow movements are a must when dealing with a strange horse . Horses have a language all their own learn their language . The horses ears are connected to their brain . If the horse is nervous it's ears will be in constant motion . The head carried low ears forward the horse is relaxed . When horses greet each other they go on sent . They will get close to each other and breath in each other exhaled breath . They instantly know one another by this action . You do the same approach the horse slowly talking softly saying anything . Before you touch the horse stand nose to nose and exhale two or three times into the horses nostrils . The horse will do the same . Find the horses favorite spot to be scratched and starch it often. Usually its around the tail . Horses have poor eye sight and see best when their head is close to the ground . They spend a great deal of time grazing. Always approach a horse from the front . Let them know you are there . Be careful expect the unexpected and enjoy the wonder of owning a horse . I have trained many horses . A well trained five year old that is properly trained is just as good as a old mare with lots of years on her . It's all in the training .

Great idea. I was going to do everyday things, like grooming, tacking up, riding, etc. My mother could teach me a few things as well. I also know that when a horse pins its ears against its head, it isn't happy. I have gone on many trail rides too. Great tip about the breathing thing, i will try that out. Thanks for the great tips!

We share the same dream horse (Friesian!). One thing that stuck out to me in your thread is that you wanted a young horse so that you could breed her, any particular reason why? I only ask because usually novice+breeding isn't exactly a recipe for success. Heck, even professionals that breed have their fair share of heartbreak, disappointment and failure. But as you are new to horse ownership, I would hold off on any type of breeding. Not only can it be very risky to the mare and foal, it can also be a very expensive endeavor. Good luck to you, I absolutely love horses and have a great passion for them and I'm glad to see you do too!

We share the same dream horse (Friesian!). One thing that stuck out to me in your thread is that you wanted a young horse so that you could breed her, any particular reason why? I only ask because usually novice+breeding isn't exactly a recipe for success. Heck, even professionals that breed have their fair share of heartbreak, disappointment and failure. But as you are new to horse ownership, I would hold off on any type of breeding. Not only can it be very risky to the mare and foal, it can also be a very expensive endeavor. Good luck to you, I absolutely love horses and have a great passion for them and I'm glad to see you do too!
Cool! I have posters of them all over my room! :D we were planning to breed her for mules, but idk if that is still going to work out. Maybe we should wait a while. That is true, we aren't made of money!

Back
Top Bottom