New Horse Owner, Any tips would be welcome!

Pics
Thanks for all the useful info. We will have a manure heap, turn it into compost, and post some ads for free horse manure.
People that want horse manure for their garden want it rotted 1 year, so you need to have 2-3 manure piles, so you fill 1 for 6 months, then start the 2nd, fill that for 6 months, then start the 3rd, the 1st one will be ready to give away, then at the end of 6 months start filling the 1st spot again.

People that want horse manure for their garden want it rotted 1 year, so you need to have 2-3 manure piles, so you fill 1 for 6 months, then start the 2nd, fill that for 6 months, then start the 3rd, the 1st one will be ready to give away, then at the end of 6 months start filling the 1st spot again.
Ok good idea, maybe I can build some large wooden bins from free pallets so there aren't just piles of manure sitting around everywhere.

Yes we just called a stable, a therapeutic riding stable 30 minutes away, and they are doing volunteer training at the end of this month, and I am planning on going so I can get some experience and training! I am sooo excited! There are two vets in our town, I believe they are both country vets. I am going to call them and see if they offer dental an farrier services or if they recommend someone for the job. We can haul some smaller square hay bales in our car, but we cannot haul the big round bales. FRIESIANS ARE MY FAVORITE HORSES!!! SO BEAUTIFUL!
FANTASTIC Good girl ! That's the best place to be ! Have you gotten the horse yet ? You might ask if someone at the stable if someone might go with you ? To look at the horse ? And give you advice/ pointers on if this is a suitable horse for you ?

FANTASTIC Good girl ! That's the best place to be ! Have you gotten the horse yet ? You might ask if someone at the stable if someone might go with you ? To look at the horse ? And give you advice/ pointers on if this is a suitable horse for you ?
Thank you!! I am soo excited and I will gain lots of experience there too! Not yet, I was just looking around. Turns out, that stable will be retiring some of its horses soon, so we might be able to get one of the therapy horses!! The oldest horse they have is a 16 year old gelding, who is a thoroughbred I believe.

Thank you!! I am soo excited and I will gain lots of experience there too! Not yet, I was just looking around. Turns out, that stable will be retiring some of its horses soon, so we might be able to get one of the therapy horses!! The oldest horse they have is a 16 year old gelding, who is a thoroughbred I believe.
Honestly, I believe that that would be a much better 1st horse than a 5 year old mare. Plus, if you are working at the farm he came from, you can ask them any questions that come up since they know him and his quirks. Maybe they would let you own him but board him there with his friends? You could work off some if not all of the board possibly and just chip in on hay.

Honestly, I believe that that would be a much better 1st horse than a 5 year old mare. Plus, if you are working at the farm he came from, you can ask them any questions that come up since they know him and his quirks. Maybe they would let you own him but board him there with his friends? You could work off some if not all of the board possibly and just chip in on hay.
That is what I am starting to think too. And since I would be volunteering there, I would know him, and we would have bonded a little already. Good idea, if I can't find a place to put him.

That !! Hands down !! Would be the best bet ! Ask if they mind you coming to visit the horses ? Or if it's ok for you to just come hang out and watch if they are giving lessons ? Tell them so you might be able to watch and possibly think of more questions ??
And believe me... You will ! Ha ha ha ! And they know it ! They also would be the ones to be able to tell you exactly !! What there horses would need for care and what they feel you would to care for that horse ! Sometimes they will give you the bridle the use for that horse :) not all bits are the same :)
Not sure if we are allowed to give out personal emails ? Hear or not ? If so I would be happy to share mine with ya :)

That !! Hands down !! Would be the best bet ! Ask if they mind you coming to visit the horses ? Or if it's ok for you to just come hang out and watch if they are giving lessons ? Tell them so you might be able to watch and possibly think of more questions ??
And believe me... You will ! Ha ha ha ! And they know it ! They also would be the ones to be able to tell you exactly !! What there horses would need for care and what they feel you would to care for that horse ! Sometimes they will give you the bridle the use for that horse :) not all bits are the same :)
Not sure if we are allowed to give out personal emails ? Hear or not ? If so I would be happy to share mine with ya :)
Yes! I am currently working on filling out a form. It says to check the boxes with the fields you would be interested in working in. I checked- Sidewalker, horse leader, stable management, and ride-a-thons. They said that if the team leader sees that you are good with the horses, I will be allowed to ride them.

Yes! I am currently working on filling out a form. It says to check the boxes with the fields you would be interested in working in. I checked- Sidewalker, horse leader, stable management, and ride-a-thons. They said that if the team leader sees that you are good with the horses, I will be allowed to ride them.

Back
Top Bottom