New Horse saved from slaughter (New spring Pics)

What a great buy! Brain is not "name functioning" right now - but,
"Dollars"
"Twenty"
"Justin or Nick" for Just in the Nick of Time
"Chance"
"Karma"

Ok Chickgirl, you sound just like me. Lets rescue the horsies. Anyway, my daughter says you need to name him "Donut".
wee.gif

Rescueing a horse may sound noble, but for everyone that is " rescued" , the REALITY is ... The $10 rescue dramatically lowers the value of ALL horses.
barnie.gif
Also, that origingal $10 or $20 will end up costing the rescuer thausands of dollars for a horse that is still worth only $10. With loss of value, especially in this economy, there is only a market for the very TOP end show and performance horses. One of my clients has spent 7 years and many, many thausands of dollars in taining, advertising, and shows to promote his Nationally 13th ranked cutting horse. Then with not beeing able to recoup his investment for ANY stud breedings, he gelded his stallion and he is now his 9 year old daughter's riding horse. There are now thausands of horses that are being turned loose and starving. One badly injured (ugly as sin, about 2 year old stud colt) was even turned loose in my pasture of mares ( I breed horses for a living) by first cutting my fence. I spent about $ 3,000 in Vet, attorney, feed, stall, fence repair, and newpaper advertising costs in over 4 months in order to legally give him away.
duc.gif

Sorry to hear about your problems with the horse dumped on you! But, I think it is great that some can take in this paint horse and give him a chance. He may not be "top quality" but I don't think that makes his life any less worthy. He could very well turn out to be a treasure to someone. I agree that this economy has ruined the price of horses (but it has ruined the price of everything). I think the adopters should be proud they had the opportunity to save this colts life.

Aww, he's a pretty boy! Good for you, taking him in instead of letting him go off to his death. That would be an awful shame. The current horse situation here is terribly sad. So many horses needing help and rescue, and too many nice horses off to slaughter.
sad.png
It breaks my heart, hearing the stories! My belief is that saving even one animal from a terrible fate is a beautiful and noble thing.

I like the previously mentioned "Spice" as a name for him. Or Cody, Patches, Chance, Mister, Slip, Splash... I dunno, I can't think of anything else at the moment.

I'm sure you'll give him lots of love. Give him some time to muscle up and for his coat to improve, he's going to be magnificent! I'd love to see pics of him in the spring once his furry coat is shed.
big_smile.png

There are so many horses needing rescued because horse slaughter was ended in the US. It's made a horrible situation in the horse industry and now the horses who are bought for slaughter have to be hauled to mexico or canada stressing and injurying many more than it would have if the slaughter plants in the US hadn't been closed. I was sitting on the back of the horse before I could walk but I'm all for horse slaughter. I'd be a hypocrite to eat any type of meat and then tell others they can't raise a certain animal for food. I also see little wrong with our current slaughter practices. We need to cut down on the mistakes and half assed job some do but when it's done how it's suppose to be slaughter methods are potentially more humane than chemical euthanasia. There are tons of free horses people are trying to find good homes for while everyone is busy "rescuing" slaughter animals with no handling, training, or major health problems which take so much time and money away from the sane and sound ones and make it more difficult for breeders to create those sane, sound, and well trained horses. I have a great little herd but I'm not breeding because the horse industry is ruined right now.

Quote:
How true.
I sold all my breeding stock in 2005 for a 10th what i paid for them in the begining and you can find horses around here free every day, there's no place for the unwanted horses and ya don't just call the vet and pay 200 dollars to put them down i believe that would be animal crulty.

Feed has gotten so high that people loose the ability to properly care for their horses as it is

Back
Top Bottom