*new* Iethargic baby chick

mandymcg05

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Kentucky
I am ABSOLUTELY heart broken... I lost my first baby chick today. It was so weird and happened so fast. My silver/lavender silkie was totally fine this morning. No pasty butt. Eating and drinking. Running around with her bros and sisters. We left the house to get some slats for the new coop we are building. Maybe gone for about 3.5 hours. When I walked into the brooder to check on them ( I do this multiple times a day), she was in the corner (by the lamp like always) It's where they all hang out. But she wasn't startled by my *chirping* I always do. She wasn't moving at all. It looked like she was sleeping so I opened the lid. She still didn't startle. I picked her up she chirped a little but barely lifted her eyes open. I spent the next 2 hours trying to get her to wake. I cleaned her butt. Dipped her beak in electrolyte water many many times to get her to drink. But it just wasn't enough. She died in my hands. Which was the most awfullest thing I've ever witnessed... Didn't research that one!!! 😭😭

Ya'll, I'm so scared that the whole flock in that brooder is doomed. I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should worm them all. If I should feed them yolks. They've all gotten some electrolyte water several times over the last few days. I had that silkie along with 2 others since Friday evening. She was pretty tiny and she was 8 days old today. She was in the brooder with EEs that are about the same age, a little younger than her.

Do you have any suggestions for what I need to do for the rest of the brooder?? I mean they are all acting fine.. But so was she 6 hours ago. I'm scared to even sleep without checking on them every frikken hour!!! They are not vaccinated. I did get the silkies and the EEs from two different farms. They are attached to my BPR, and RIRs but they aren't sharing the same bedding. I had no idea that I shouldn't have merged them yet because they were babies I thought it was ok. Mistake on my part. I will be absolutely devastated if I lose more. 💔💔 The bedding has been changed/cleaned frequently, their food and water is cleaned/checked daily. The heat is not too hot or cold. I just am at a loss here.

The slices of wood were added at day one because one of the chicks actually almost fit through the hole. And the curved cardboard was added this afternoon when we thought maybe she was suffocated in that corner.

Attachments

• 89CE5287-9D22-45C4-AD38-5C3C9C46D546.jpeg
    89CE5287-9D22-45C4-AD38-5C3C9C46D546.jpeg
    768.7 KB · Views: 9
Is the heat lamp too high? I would get a thermometer and put it underneath to regulate the temp. Chicks need it to be 95 degrees the first week, 90 the next 85 the next and so on. I am not a heat lamp fan, personally. I use a brooder plate. It is more natural and less of a fire hazard. I used a red heat lamp when I started out.

I think your baby was too cold....is the brooder inside or outside? It’s okay if they are outside in a garage or barn that is draft free. They just really need to stay warm. Keep the heat lamp in one section and the food/water in another if they need a break from the heat.

Last edited:
Is the heat lamp too high? I would get a thermometer and put it underneath to regulate the temp. Chicks need it to be 95 degrees the first week, 90 the next 85 the next and so on. I am not a heat lamp fan, personally. I use a brooder plate. It is more natural and less of a fire hazard. I used a red heat lamp when I started out.

I think your baby was too cold....is the brooder inside or outside? It’s okay if they are outside in a garage or barn that is draft free. They just really need to stay warm. Keep the heat lamp in one section and the food/water in another if they need a break from the heat.
The brooder is in our insulated/attached garage. And I have the food and water on the other end of the brooder away from the heat. I did scoot them closer to the lamp just for good measure. She felt warm when I got to her. But I guess that doesn't mean that she didn't get cold. You can see in the photo they are all kind of spread out right now but still in the side closest to the heat. This was after I moved the brooder closer to the heat. The breeder I got them from told me her lamp was about 18" away from the brooder. So I tried to mimic that. Maybe it wasn't enough. 😭 The lamp ison the side of the brooder. Should I move it to the top?

Don’t beat yourself up....it happens......sometimes chicks just don’t thrive. It hurts all the same tho....:hit

I did notice that the chicks weren’t huddled, but I would definitely get a thermometer in there. It will at least rule it out if the temp is okay.

To answer your question, I would definitely put the lamp on top.

Good luck and keep us posted! I am sure the rest of your chicks will be fine! ❤️

Last edited:
Don’t beat yourself up....it happens......sometimes chicks just don’t thrive. It hurts all the same tho....:hit

I did notice that the chicks weren’t huddled, but I would definitely get a thermometer in there. It will at least rule it out if the temp is okay.

Good luck and keep us posted! I am sure the rest of your chicks will be fine! ❤
Thank you! I will fix the lamp asap. I truly hope it was a fluke and they'll be fine. This does hurt 💔

Good luck and keep us posted! I am sure the rest of your chicks will be fine! ❤
Ok We have a problem. I woke up to another one of my smaller EEs lethargic and the others are running all over her. That means that 2 chicks started with the same symptoms. What could it be????

Back
Top Bottom