New in CA, questions about egg laying behavior!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

Good luck with your chickens! It is certainly exciting waiting for the first egg.
smile.png

Drum roll please........ WE GOT OUR FIRST EGG!!!!!!! All that commotion all day about a little egg :). Guess I better fix up some nesting boxes!
Thanks everyone!!!

Hi
smile.png
. I'm mom to 4 beautiful Buff Orpington hens. They are about 5 months old. This morning a couple of them, especially one, became extremely vocal. She has been carrying on all morning! They are fed, watered, and free ranging. I'm wondering what all of her fuss is about and if she is letting me know that she is ready to start laying. She also started the submissive squat. I went out to see what the fuss was and she squatted for me, she has been squatting for a couple of days now... I don't have nesting boxes yet because I thought it would be springtime before I got eggs. Should I rush to get nesting boxes or will she find a place to lay? Could she be vocal because she wants a box? Thanks
smile.png

Welcome! Just wait until she lays if you want to hear a lot of noise. Females (chicken females) are noisier than the males. Just different times of day. Kern

yippiechickie.gif
Hurray on the first egg! You can put a golf ball or two out in nest boxes for your other girls - it gives them the idea where eggs should go. The girls get loud because they don't know what to expect. Sometimes they are really surprised to find an egg.

frow.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
frow.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

frow.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom