New in the house! Go easy on the "pecking order"...

MorningCall

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 3, 2013
Hi everyone!

I am new at BYC which is an obvious proof that I am also new to keeping Chickens. Well, I am nearly ashamed to say that I am ADDICTED to chickens. If in some part, they hold chicken Anonymous, I will be at the third seat in the hemicycle. Before yesterday, I sincerely thought that I knew few things about chickens then I browsed around until I landed to your feet at BYC and sadly discovered that I knew...NOTHIIIIIIING about them. Except they had pretty feathers et some of them recognised as hens give eggs.

I live half way between London and Kabylie - in Northern Africa currently known as Algeria. I raise my chickens in Kabylie...and come to see my children in England. As I have recently divorced, I find tremendous comfort in raising chickens instead. All my hens and roosters have names and funny enough I talk to them in English. Just a tactic to stay connected with the lingo. I am only now discovering the different breeds of chickens and guess what...I'm fascinated!!!

I am looking to promote "clean Living" in my district, in Kabylie and the whole of Algeria, there are only the two extremes. Meaning: poultry for the mass production of eggs and poultry for the food consumer. There are only few breeders - who probably don't even know they are - who come to different markets in the region. So it's an empty market, totally virgin and demand is high for clean poultry and if new breeds were to be introduced,it will probably fuel the market.

Anyway, I'm glad to be among you and I am sure that I'll collect very sound advices from here.

Thank you.

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills.

How about "Carl" for the name of a dominant rooster? Or Kate and Angus for a pair of geese? Obviously I must talk to them in English. ;)

Elvis and Boadica for a call drake and his Cayuga "wife."

As you can see, chicken names are only funny if they make you laugh. Wait, Maximilian makes me laugh, but that's because he's a silly Silkie roo.

Anyway, I shudder at the thought of what my flock might have suffered had I not discovered BYC. Plus, now I have a great many good friends whom I've never actually met. :D

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Welcome to BYC, and the best to you in this new phase in your life. The member pecking order is far more gentle than what goes on in our flocks.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom