New into chickens and need help

Backyrdchickenlady

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2018
I have 3 Easter eggs, 3 buff orpingtons, a barred rock and Cochin. A couple days ago I noticed one hen sneezing and coughing. Day before yesterday she and another had their eyes shut and a discharge bubbling from their eyes as well as the one stilli coughing. I put some clippings from the mower in there because they love the grass but other than that nothing has changed. Can anyone here help me?

Bubbly eyes sound like coryza. https://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/mycoplasma/
My chook has it too. If it's just the bubbles and coughing then it might be early stages yet. Those birds need to be quarantined from the healthy ones, be given medicine and kept warm and dry as much as possible (the warmth might not be such a big deal, depending on the current climate of where you live. But definitely keep them dry, we've been getting rain and showers a lot lately and always lead our sick girl back to the coop when it gets too wet). We got our medicine (Lincospectin Solu Powder) from the vet, but maybe you might find it or an alternative elsewhere. Best to do the research.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your sick chickens. It does sound like a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) The respiratory diseases can all look similar, and may differ by certain symptoms. Testing can identify the disease. Coryza smells very bad, and may cause swollen pus-filled eyes. Most make them carriers for life, and disease symptoms can come back again whenever there is stress, such as a molt, cold weather, or others. These chickens should not leave your property, and do not add or hatch new birds until these are all gone.

Tylan 50 injectable can be purchased in US farm stores (cattle medicines,) and this antibiotic can be give orally or by injection. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound 2-3 times a day for 5 days. Make sure they are warm, dry, and keep drinking water. If one dies, you may then get a diagnosis if you send in ambird for a necropsy.

Bubbly eyes sound like coryza. https://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/mycoplasma/
My chook has it too. If it's just the bubbles and coughing then it might be early stages yet. Those birds need to be quarantined from the healthy ones, be given medicine and kept warm and dry as much as possible (the warmth might not be such a big deal, depending on the current climate of where you live. But definitely keep them dry, we've been getting rain and showers a lot lately and always lead our sick girl back to the coop when it gets too wet). We got our medicine (Lincospectin Solu Powder) from the vet, but maybe you might find it or an alternative elsewhere. Best to do the research.
Thank you for the information. I called the vet and was told mycobacterium and was incurable.... Was hoping for a different idea

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your sick chickens. It does sound like a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) The respiratory diseases can all look similar, and may differ by certain symptoms. Testing can identify the disease. Coryza smells very bad, and may cause swollen pus-filled eyes. Most make them carriers for life, and disease symptoms can come back again whenever there is stress, such as a molt, cold weather, or others. These chickens should not leave your property, and do not add or hatch new birds until these are all gone.

Tylan 50 injectable can be purchased in US farm stores (cattle medicines,) and this antibiotic can be give orally or by injection. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound 2-3 times a day for 5 days. Make sure they are warm, dry, and keep drinking water. If one dies, you may then get a diagnosis if you send in ambird for a necropsy.
Thank you. That's the same info pretty much I got from the vet

Mycobacteria and mycoplasma are two different diseases. Mycoplasma is not cured, but symptoms may clear up. Since it is a chronic disease, symptoms can return later if they get stressed. Mycoplasma remains in the environment for only 3 days. If birds are culled or they die, then if you wait a couple of weeks to get new birds, they will not be affected.

Back
Top Bottom