New Jersey Parrot Owners

What kind of amazon is it? From the pic it looks like a double yellow head, but I was never very good at identifying amazons. I know there are certain birds you can't own, but I'm not aware of needing a permit for an amazon. I would not worry about it too much. I have NEVER heard of someone getting in trouble for having an exotic bird unless it was illegal to own in the first place (Like a quaker) or a neighbor complains. I can ask some of my parrot rescue friends for you though. New Jersey has a reputation for being very lax about exotic birds. Even the laws for proper care are stupid and the ASPCA just doesn't give a crud. So for good owners like you and me it works out, but when it comes to people that DON'T care for their birds it's very difficult to stop the neglect/abuse. Oops, I'm going off on a tangent!

Where in NJ are you moving?

Also, it looks like that article describes having a permit for release of non-native species. I only skimmed it, but I don't think it would apply to you.

Most exotic animals need a permit in NJ. I know when I was working at a pet store we had a list of animal that required one, it would have been easier to make a list of animals that don't need a permit. Dwarf hamsters need a permit! I wouldn't worry about it. I never bothered sending in for a permit, no one ever checked. I think it use to be $10 for a permit, though that may have changed. If you do want to get one all you need to do is fill out the paperwork and send that and the money into the state.

Quote:
There is a separate permit for release of non-native species, but still a required permit to own some species, including the double yellow head I have.

smile.png

I have to agree with Anna. I'm guessing your best bet if you wanted to check out permits is to contact a local pet store. Otherwise, I really would not worry about it. I don't think anyone I know who owns "exotic" pets actually has a permit. Only once I actually spent the money to get a permit for my Duprasi because the pet store wouldn't sell him to me without it. I think I paid about $10 for that.

The only reason I would figure you'd need a permit is if you will be living close to neighbors and there is the possibility they might complain. I'll check when I get the chance with my parrot rescue friends. I'm fairly certain they don't have permits for any of their birds, and some of them have 100+ parrots.

Back
Top Bottom