New Jersey

Shouldn't be much of problem, 6+ acres, property was a poultry farm in the 30's.
smile.png

Shouldn't be much of problem, 6+ acres, property was a poultry farm in the 30's.
smile.png

Sounds like you need a really big coop!
wink.png
It's called chicken math - you'll always get more than you think you'd ever want.

Tons of advice on all of the threads here. The best I can give is research, research, research! No one ever said they were sorry they prepared too much. Don't be in a rush to get birds - they will be there! Build their area first. It's too hard to retrofit a coop built with mistakes, and in a hurry, once the birds are settled in. If you think you can just get day-olds and build a coop while they grow, best think again. Yes, it can be done, but more often that not, people find themselves giving up a room to the rapidly growing birds because life gets in the way of coop construction, and then they have to rig something up quick just to get them out of the house. Don't do it!

The kinds of breeds you decide on will help you determine the best coop and run set-up, so do your research and try - as best you can - to settle on those. (For example, the giant breeds should not have roosts too high off the floor, and require larger nest boxes than are generally commercially available; hard-feathered birds need better protection from the wind; etc.) At the very least, create a list of possibles, and plan for those birds. Be aware of the kinds of predators in your area, and construct the coop and run to deter them. Bo open-minded about the more unique breeds; people always say they want egg-layers, but there can be such a thing as too many eggs. Get a fancy breed or two for some serious eye candy.

I always recommend at least four birds. They need a flock, and the other bodies for warmth in the winter. Plus, stuff happens, and if you lose one, the others can continue well, unlike if you only have two and then lose one. There are tons of chicken books on Amazon - use the reader reviews to pick the right ones. Some are a little too vague for newbies.

Whoa - sorry - off my soapbox now. I can obviously do this all day.

Good luck, and welcome!

Last edited:
Happy Wednesday everyone. We're falling close to page three so i thought i'd bring us back up. What's happening? I hatched out some marans and olive eggers the end of last week. I didn't have any eggs lined up to put in the incubator, so I just put some of mine in there. I see a few are developing. Geese are getting big. I have some foxes hanging around. Only hearing them at night, but that's enough for me. Have some new layers, my ameraucanas. The eggs are such a pretty blue. Well enough of me, you?

Happy Wednesday everyone. We're falling close to page three so i thought i'd bring us back up. What's happening? I hatched out some marans and olive eggers the end of last week. I didn't have any eggs lined up to put in the incubator, so I just put some of mine in there. I see a few are developing. Geese are getting big. I have some foxes hanging around. Only hearing them at night, but that's enough for me. Have some new layers, my ameraucanas. The eggs are such a pretty blue. Well enough of me, you?
And Happy Wednesday to you all, too!
It's been super busy here, I'm hatching out some chicks as I write this and I hatched LOADS of quail (I have some for sale, in case anyone wants some!).
I had my NJDOA inspection yesterday and all is well. I got some nice comments about how well cared for and healthy my animals look!!!
big_smile.png

We also had a set of twin goat girls about 4 weeks ago and a new baby boy was born last Thursday. Love those goaties!!!
All in all, everything is great!
Anyone else have an update???

Glad all is well. Why the inspection, is it related to the kennel?
No. My kennel inspections are over by March. The kennel is inspected by the township, the fire dept and the county Board of Health.
The farm inspection is done by the NJ Dept of Agriculture. They come every year and test for avian flu because I'm getting ready to have some birds processed. In any case, my inspector is a great! She has an amazing amount of information and I actually look forward to it each year. Best of all, it's a free service!!!
smile.png

Does anyone know about having backyard chickens in blackwood nj? The woman told me I needed to live on an acer. I do not but still want a few chickens. I'm about to just get them and forget about it. I don't see it anywhere in the ordinance about backyard chickens. I am tired of getting different answers.

Thanks for the help!

JS

Does anyone know about having backyard chickens in blackwood nj? The woman told me I needed to live on an acer. I do not but still want a few chickens. I'm about to just get them and forget about it. I don't see it anywhere in the ordinance about backyard chickens. I am tired of getting different answers.

Thanks for the help!

JS
Assuming I am looking at the right ordinance...https://sites.google.com/site/landdevelopmentordinance/home

Chickens are considered agricultural use per your ordinance:
"AGRICULTURAL OR HORTICULTURAL PURPOSE OR USE - Any product of plants or animals useful to man, including but not limited to: forages or sod crops, grains and feed crops; dairy animals and dairy products; poultry and poultry products; livestock, including the beef cattle, sheep, swine, horses, ponies, mules or goats, and including the breeding and grazing of any or all of such animals; bees and dairy products; fur animals; trees and forest products; fruits of all kinds, including grapes, nuts, and berries; vegetables; nursery, floral, ornamental and greenhouse products; or any land devoted to and meeting the requirements and qualifications for payments or their compensation pursuant to a soil conservation program under an agency of Federal Government. "

The next questions is "what zone is your house in" and is that zone allowed to have agricultural development? It looks like zones ER, R-1, R-2, can be used for agriculture.

Then you need to interpret the "minimum lot size" requirements. What category of "use" does chicken keeping fall into? If single family residence is a lot less than "other uses".

Also, you need to be mindful of the agricultural ordinance section:

E. Farm Uses.

1. Agricultural. Farm houses and agricultural buildings shall be permitted in conjunction with an agricultural use, regardless of the zoning district. In addition to the allowed uses as defined under ‘agricultural or horticultural purpose or use’ in §202 public and private stables and riding academies shall also be permitted accessory uses to such use. The following regulations shall apply to agricultural activities:

a. The keeping or raising of livestock and poultry on parcels of land less than ten (10) acres in area shall be limited to the keeping and raising of two (2) head of livestock or one hundred (100) fowl per forty thousand (40,000) square feet. No fowl or livestock may be kept on parcels of land less than one (1) acre in area.

I find it a bit odd since you can have 100 fowl per 40,000 square feet and an acre is 43560, but I suppose it is because they don't want your entire yard to be a chicken run if you only have an acre of land.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a Hovabator styrofoam incubator and egg turner I'm looking to sell. Both have been used recently and worked. The turner has quail and chicken egg cups. They are in decent, but used condition and the incubator has a plastic tray which cleans up nicely.

Ithe turner has a couple egg cups that don't fit real snug but some duct tape could fix them real easy! I also have an extra yellow egg turner that I think has a cracked arm but could most likely be repaired easy enough. I will throw that in for free to whoever buys this if they want it!

I'm asking $25 for both and I'm in hope, nj.

Hi everyone! What a week.... Some weird virus made its way thru our house this week. My youngest son is the last to get it starting this morning. It was a rough week!!! I feel like I barely saw my chickies at all this week. I spent a good amount of time with them today raking the yard of all the pollen strings. It was funny to watch them scratch at all the piles I was raking up. It was so windy though and they seemed really freaked out by the gusts. Every time there was a big gust they would jump and run about.

I brought my buff orpington in to work with me on Wed. One of the vet techs was doing a lesson for assistants on exotics and didn't have any birds to demonstrate restraint with so she asked if I would bring one of my girls in. Pretty Girl was the hit of the hospital for the day especially when she laid an egg in her cage. She was such a good girl and was so tolerant of all the attention.

The weather is supposed to better sun and Mon. Any plans?

Back
Top Bottom