New Jersey

I am fairly new to New Jersey and recently bought a small farm that comes with 1 laying hen.  I am looking to find her some friends.  I am from Warren County, Harmony Township.  It is really nice to see so much interest for BYC in NJ!  I love reading all the posts!

Welcome! I'm a bit south of you. Yes I agree she needs some friends, and sooner the better. Did you try Craigslist? Chickens/hens/pullets try them all and see what comes up.

Thanks so much! I did sign up for the 4-H Club--- waiting for them to contact me c;

I have only been in Atlantic county for about a year now, my coop is about 90% done and I am getting ready to start my flock. I have been looking on craigslist but I am never quite sure.
Thanks

I have only been in Atlantic county for about a year now, my coop is about 90% done and I am getting ready to start my flock.  I have been looking on craigslist but I am never quite sure. 
Thanks

Well it may be hard to find most breeds come fall. Seems like most people hatch in the spring. I've unplugged my incubator for the summer and am in the middle of restructuring the flock. I may be a bit far for you but would be willing to hatch some chicks for you. I have a Marans roo over a mixed flock right now.

Great job Zach she is beautiful. Not familiar with the breed. Kind of looks like a polish hen.

My silkie hen lost half of her top beak. Will that grow back? I fed her mush with a spoon tonight. She didn't seem too interested in eating. Thought she'd be starving by now. Any suggestions? We think she had a run in with the ducks.
thank you and with the beak a small part may grow back i have a hen who broke her beak in a fight and most of it grew back then again i do not know how bad your bird is? i would keep her isolated for now and see how she is with eating sometimes they are very good at adjusting! good luck

GOOD NEWS. My silkie Chicklet is doing very well. She can drink on her own and is eating softened food from our hand three times a day. She is back with the flock and adjusting well. The other birds all run over to see what she's getting and have to give them their own special treats too. Yippy!! Hope her beak will grow back enough to cover the bottom half. There was no blood so I am hopeful.

Last edited:
I have only been in Atlantic county for about a year now, my coop is about 90% done and I am getting ready to start my flock. I have been looking on craigslist but I am never quite sure.
Thanks

Good for you for getting your coop ready BEFORE you get the birds! A lot of people do it the other way around. I realize you're quite a ways south, but you might consider coming up to our Fall Show in Augusta, NJ, on Oct. 19. We have a pretty good sale area there. Plus, it's always a great place for a newbie to get a lot of questions answered. We're the only show in NJ - it's just unfortunate that it's on the other end of the state from you.

I have only been in Atlantic county for about a year now, my coop is about 90% done and I am getting ready to start my flock.  I have been looking on craigslist but I am never quite sure. 
Thanks

Good for you for getting your coop ready BEFORE you get the birds!  A lot of people do it the other way around.  I realize you're quite a ways south, but you might consider coming up to our Fall Show in Augusta, NJ, on Oct. 19.  We have a pretty good sale area there.  Plus, it's always a great place for a newbie to get a lot of questions answered.  We're the only show in NJ - it's just unfortunate that it's on the other end of the state from you.

Yes that would be a great option to start the flock. And again, sooo farrrr. Ugh. Just brings back memories of commuting.

Back
Top Bottom