New Jersey

Hello fellow NJ peeps :) I have my brother wanting me to raise some chickens just for his freezer..He has been wanting more organic meat in his diet. I get that :) I told him I would not do so unless I could find someone to process them for me. I am in Galloway and he is in New Egypt, so if anyone knows of someone it would be a great help. I know he has gotten into organic and I respect that..I kind of wish he would just want to raid my garden. He's my brother and if I can help I will..I did notice the price of organic chicken at store...wow!

I hope he's not looking to save money, because raising them can cost much more than buying them, especially with the cost of organic feed, and is certainly more work. Also, I don't recommend the types of breeds they sell as "meaties," meaning the cornish crosses, for beginners. They are NOT regular chickens. I think there are some farms down your way that sell chickens already processed. Check out localharvest.com, or the locavore app. You can always visit the Amish stand at the Columbus Market, as well. There's plenty of sources out there.

Think this through carefully. I know a few backyard people who did this thinking they'd like to raise meat for their families with the meaties, and all of them regretted it. Now, if you wanted to raise heritage birds, that take a much longer time to grow, that is different. I know people who do it this way, and it is much more satisfactory. But, you have to pay for organic feed all of that time. I'm all for organic everything, but I think raising them naturally, as opposed to organically, in your own backyard, is just as good, if not better. At least you know what the bird ate.

Thanks for the reply..yes all the work would be on me. I do have the acreage for many hens..which is what I want. My plan is have a large flock (40). Is that consider big or small? And sell the eggs at my church on Sundays. Any money made will go to filling our church food pantry. Raising roos for bro wasn't really part of the plan. I believe I saw a place in Atco that does sell chickens in fall that are already processed. My plan was to take a drive and get a freezer full..I will make sure to get extra for my brother. Thank you for raising many points..they will help when I have to let him down. My hubby even told him if you build a coop and buy the chicks..it is still much work for me..lol

If your brother is interested in organic chickens, he should research a man named Joel Salatin. Polyface Farm in VA. I found him through several of Michael Pollans books. There are also several videos on the subject @ Atlantic County Library.

Does anyone here buy organic/non GMO feed for their flock? And if so what brand and where do you buy it? The only brand my feed store(farmside in sussex) supplies is Natures Best and it is $38 for 50lbs

my son, sixteen years old comes into the living room and says. "Mom, I come from school, make myself a sandwich as a chicken watches me and I don't find that strange. That's really sick mom." LOL

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply..yes all the work would be on me. I do have the acreage for many hens..which is what I want. My plan is have a large flock (40). Is that consider big or small? And sell the eggs at my church on Sundays. Any money made will go to filling our church food pantry. Raising roos for bro wasn't really part of the plan. I believe I saw a place in Atco that does sell chickens in fall that are already processed. My plan was to take a drive and get a freezer full..I will make sure to get extra for my brother. Thank you for raising many points..they will help when I have to let him down. My hubby even told him if you build a coop and buy the chicks..it is still much work for me..lol

Meaties are a LOT of work. The "regular" birds? It's like with kids - once you get past a certain number, it's not much of a work difference, at least not for me. I started with six, and now have about 30. Yes, the coop is bigger, so there's a bigger space to clean. Yes, I go through more food, and have to put out extra waterers. But, I was going to clean the coop anyway, and put out water anyway - how much work is it to fill two or three waterers instead of one? (But, I'm very lucky and my coop is right by my house. If you have to haul water, that can make a difference.)

If you've never had birds before, I would not suggest starting with that many. Six or eight is a good number until you "get your thing down," and settle into it. Forty birds is not a lot IF you have the experience. I know it's hard to wait, but it's better not to be so overwhelmed until you get into the swing of things. By the time I got this many, I had had six for a couple of years already. I understand wanting to jump right in, but you're not going to be doing anyone any favors - especially yourself!

Given what you've said, I would invest the time into doing some real research on the size of the coop and the run, the sizes of the feeders and waterers, where your water supply is, how you're going to clean the coop, and where you're going to put the dirty litter, buying egg cartons, what you're going to do if birds get sick, where to put the sick ones, where to quarantine new ones, etc. No one has ever said - Man, I wish I hadn't done so much research beforehand! You're actually lucky to be starting from scratch - most of us have to adjust a small area to fit a lot of birds, because we all thought we'd be happy with "just a few!" Well, that never happens, because there's no such thing as too many chickens! Plus, doing it right the first time is a reward for you and the birds everyday!

PS - since it's your brother who wants the organic meat, I say let HIM take a drive and fill HIS freezer. ;)

Back
Top Bottom