New Jersey

Our four coops are not at all insulated. Have had only one issue with a rooster who suffered a frost bitten comb during that vicious cold last winter. (I'll be more diligent with Vaseline on the combs this year). We use the deep litter method with straw and I think that imparts enough warmth (along with the chickens throwing off their own heat). We used 3/4 plywood on the floor and 1/2 inch wall sheathing.

If I were to raise the BR birds does the coop need to be insulated? I have some materials on hand and would prefer not to build a heavy coop. I want to make the coop mobile. I was planning on using 1/4" plywood with a thin insulated board with vinyl on the outside to protect the wood. Will the birds keep themselves warm enough for one of our typical winters?

The most important thing is to make sure the coop is draft-free, but also well-ventilated. A tricky one, I know, but there are ways. Four to six birds can produce plenty of heat, but also plenty of moisture, hence the need for ventilation. Also, make the roosts from 2x4's laid on their sides, and well-sanded. This keeps their toes warm in the winter. You can also wrap the coop in plastic sheeting to further prevent drafts. Check out the examples of coops on the coop pages for the size you have in mind.

I have a 3-month-old LF Salmon Faverolles cockerel available. Patterson lines. Pick-up only, or I can perhaps meet you halfway. Attending the Cobleskill, Sussex, and Ohio National Shows, and can drop him to you there. PM me for more details.

Getting desperate! 4 LF polish roosters for sale or free to a good home. Around 16 weeks old. 2 are frizzle, 2 smooth!

Im still looking for a naked neck or turken or showgirl pullet/hen.
Can't have roosters so females only & looking / hoping for her to be at least 4 months old but no more than 1 yr old.

Hi everyone, I have a lovely speckled sussex with bumblefoot on both feel. We treated one foot but not terribly successfully and I simply don't have the stomach for the cutting/digging part again. We soak and rebandage the feet and can manage that part of the treatment but I'm not willing to do the cutting. I've been to Maple Shade Vet clinic previously for other reasons but they really don't treat chickens even though they are avian vets. Does anyone have a vet in the area that they KNOW treats chickens? (My terrific dog vet won't see my hens and couldn't refer us!)

Any help would really be appreciated. I'm willing to travel a bit -but not too far.
Thanks!
There is a vet down there in South Jersey I have been to for my chickens. His name is Matt Edson. This was his number but I'm not sure if he still has the same number. He was in the process of moving to a new office. 609-261-7280.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have a lovely speckled sussex with bumblefoot on both feel. We treated one foot but not terribly successfully and I simply don't have the stomach for the cutting/digging part again. We soak and rebandage the feet and can manage that part of the treatment but I'm not willing to do the cutting. I've been to Maple Shade Vet clinic previously for other reasons but they really don't treat chickens even though they are avian vets. Does anyone have a vet in the area that they KNOW treats chickens? (My terrific dog vet won't see my hens and couldn't refer us!)

Any help would really be appreciated. I'm willing to travel a bit -but not too far.
Thanks!
There is a vet down there in South Jersey I have been to for my chickens. His name is Matt Edson. This was his number but I'm not sure if he still has the same number. He was in the process of moving to a new office. 609-261-7280.
Yes Matt Edson. He has a partner and also don't know if they are in new office. I believe its in Rancocos.

How long did it take for them to start laying. This is my first flock. They are about 20 weeks old. I don't think I will be getting eggs for about 4 more weeks. fingers crossed.
smile.png

How long did it take for them to start laying. This is my first flock. They are about 20 weeks old. I don't think I will be getting eggs for about 4 more weeks. fingers crossed.
smile.png

Depends on a lot of things, but mostly if they just feel like laying, I've come to conclude. I had girls born in March, and they decided to hold off laying until the following February. But, I know others who had had pullets lay at less than five months. You just have to wait, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom