new keeper

catman

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 22, 2011
hi everyone am about to start small coop with 4 chickens coop up and ready just looking for some advice as what type of food i need also looking to buy chicks what to buy and what breed totally new so need some stsrting advice

What kind of chicken you buy depends on your aims. Just want some eggs? Then about anything the feed store has will do the trick except Cornish X, Cornish cross, or Cornish rock. They're all the same thing, but they go by different names.

Food is easy: Give baby chicks "chick starter" and give them "layer feed" once they start laying.

There are your basics. Before you get them though, there's plenty you should know. One thing you should know is this: Chicken wire only keeps chickens in, it will not keep predators like dogs, raccoons, or opossums out! They need shelter and they need good food and they need fresh clean water.

Now go over to here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=129278

Then
read, read, read.

I think I would go with some hatchery chicks and let them VACCINATE for Marek's. And you can get all females.

What kind to get? What do you want in a chicken?

Chickens are great and easy to care for. We started with four and it is a great flock size for a newbie. Food is easy, it just depends on the age of the birds. Basically you'll want to feed them chick starter 'til they lay their first eggs. It has a higher protein content (18-20%) which helps develop bones, feathers, etc. After they start laying, switch to a layer feed. It will have less protein (16%) and more calcium, for eggshell production. One thing to be diligent about is protecting your flock. Chickens are prey for a lot of animals and birds. Lock 'em up when it gets dark. Coons can be very determined to get in the coop, so make sure it's tight. As far as breeds to get, that's totally up to you. For egg production, we've had great luck with our Rhode Island Red and our Black Australorp. Good luck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom