New Keets joining the Flock

darkmatter

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 10, 2009
I lost the last of my female Guineas last year while they were sitting nests in the field. I only got two males left this year mixed in with 40+ chickens. I ordered 30 keets that came last month and I put them down in the coop last week in the "introduction cage" with their own separate water and feed. Yesterday I opened the little side doors to the cage and some came out to explore.
The keets immediately hooked up with the old bachelors and got showed where to go and what to eat by the old pros. That should save me a few losses this year. I only lost 4 of the keets out of the 30 I got last month, one within 3 days and the other 3 apparently got crushed or something over the last month, one was this week after I put them down in the coop.
I also hatched a few chicks (same day as the keets hatched) and put them with the keets-----I've found in the past that raising keets and chicks together helps with them getting along as adults. In the past I couldn't get the Guineas to roost in the Coop at night until I raised a mixed batch of chicks and keets. I've also slipped a few eggs under a broody hen in the past, which worked for getting the Guineas to blend with the chickens. I hadn't been hatching Guineas for the last 2-3 years and predation got ahead of me, I guess I better pay attention and hatch more Guineas each year as this year I don't have the bug patrol going yet----Guineas are worth the effort and noise for the tick and bug removal service on the property.

Glad you had such good luck with introducing your keets to the adult guineas. I didn't have the same good fortune. I had them seperated, but what I had to seperate them wasn't good enough and the adults got to the keets and killed 1 and seriously injured the other. Next time I'll be a bit more careful.

i'm glad your keets took to the bachelors. mine haven't. i don't know if its the adults or the keets. well i think it's a bit of both. my babies don't like the adults because the adults chase them. but maybe when they get older it will get better. congrats.

Just an observation with chickens and wondering if guineas could act the same.

All of the trouble between youngsters and adults is caused by hens or immature cockerals and pullets. Mature cocks are very accepting of youngsters. In raising my gamefowl, I often pen all the youngsters with one mature cock to act as a policeman and keep the peace. Like I said, Just wondering if it`s the same in a guineas world........Pop

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. I didn't see who cause my keets harm, but I'm pretty sure it was 1 of the females. On 2 occasions when I put the keets with the adults to observe how they did, 1 particular female kept harassing them. The male did do his "charging" don't come near me, but pretty much left them alone.

This post is good timing for me. Today we traded our 3.5 mo old Barney Rubble guinea for a 2 mos old Wilma Flintstone for our Fred. Fred and Barney were raised with 4 bantams, 3 female, 1 roo, of same age. Our teeny tiny bantam girls just flogged the new female guinea.
At first the cochin roo liked her, tried to breed her (strong teenage hormones...sheesh) but the girls attacked her, the roo finally gave chase to apease his girls and Fred always backs the roo.

What should I do? They will kill her. I have her in the aviary in a separate cage. We will eventually make a coop for the bantys but till then will I have to keep her in a cage?

Any help or ideas are welcome. I put in logs for a distraction and hiding place but that did not last long.

Back
Top Bottom