New Layena Bags

Quote:
Did you just leave the bottom of the bag the way it was? Or did you do something different with it? Did you use regular thread to put the straps on? Thanks!
smile.png

There a chick... :

Quote:
Did you just leave the bottom of the bag the way it was? Or did you do something different with it? Did you use regular thread to put the straps on? Thanks!
smile.png

We made the bottom more of a square so it would stand up. We used regular white thread for the straps. The easiest and quickest way for the straps is to use the prefab straps. You can get it cut by the yard at the fabric store.

Here is a picture of the bottom, inside the bag.
6809_dscn2110.jpg

D'Angelo N Va. :

Acutally, I don't use Parina. I use the Southern States Food Store near me, they have thick paper feed bags and I use them to line the bottoms of my brooders, and to put trash in. However, if I did use Parina and had those bags I think I would use them to cover the screened windows to my chicken house in the winter to cut down on the draft coming through, instead of buying plastic to do so....white side out of course so ppl. will not see a bunch of colors at the window that don't match.

Good idea to use them to cover the screened windows. I think I will try that. Thanks for posting that idea. I like it!​

I staple them up inside my chicken house to insulate it from draughts. It's dusty here and they hose off well. Also, I like the fact that they don't collapse entirely if it rains on the way back from the feedstore (although obviously you must transfer your feed to something else and keep an eye out for mold.

The Honey house is an amazing structure for sure. With proper drainage, a good foundation and overhanging roof, a sandbag building could last for centuries. The igloo design might not be the best for areas with lots of rain, but why not build a more conventional roof out of lumber and you could use the plastic Layena bags as a water proof membrane covered with earth for a "living roof". I found this video
. Just substitute the cord wood walls for Layena bags packed with road base or reject sand/clay. I've convinced myself to start saving Layena bags now. I had noticed that it seemed wasteful to throw away such a durable bag, but I had not had these ideas until this thread.

Quote:
smile.png

We made the bottom more of a square so it would stand up. We used regular white thread for the straps. The easiest and quickest way for the straps is to use the prefab straps. You can get it cut by the yard at the fabric store.

Here is a picture of the bottom, inside the bag.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6809_dscn2110.jpg

Thanks for the pic! That helped a ton!!
smile.png

The chicken feed I buy is still in paper bags, but the cat food I buy is the new plastic weave kind.

I saved them, and was soon glad I did -- we had an unexpected, unusually heavy rain hit (8 inches in one hour). The weatherman was able to warn us ahead of time of the heavy rains and flash flood warnings.

Since the henhouse is on a lower elevation (only place we had to build it), that kind of heavy rain threatened to flood the henhouse.

So we got together all the plastic cat food bags we could find (including some donated by a neighbor) and filled them with sand -- instant sandbag. We sandbagged the entrance to the henhouse, and the other areas most likely to admit water into the structure.

And guess what? Those cat food bag/sandbags kept the floodwaters out of the henhouse!

I eagerly await the point when my favorite chicken feed changes to the plastic bags -- I'll be able to save up enough "sandbags" to build a small levee when that happens!

Quote:
Now that is the proper application of wisdom. "Waste not, want not" is what Ben Franklin wrote.

At our TSC Layena has gone up to $15.00 a bag ,so we are getting our feed from a feed mill that uses paper bags... I like the plastic bags as I save them to reuse for storing ear corn and other things.

Back
Top Bottom