New layer, and other questions.

LER23

Songster
Aug 21, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
2 days ago I got my 1st egg from my aprox 4 mo old leghorn. She hasn't laid since, but she presents her backside, curtsies, and lets me handle her. Her vent looks sort of like a wide, sort of squishy smile (?). My other 3 of the same age, an OE and 2 indeterminates, are close. The indeterminates curtsy and let me pet them every other day or so. I managed a look at one of their vents and it's rounder and more puckered.

So this is what I am guessing, and please let me know if I am right:

I have not been consistent with giving them 12 hours of light a day, but they do get at least 10, since I have a utility light in the coop.

They seem to have started to do a little more moulting. Not sure if this is normal. Could it just be that they lose feathers as they grow? These girls look like they have reached their mature size but I'm not sure of that.

Since my leghorn is new to laying, I am thinking that egg production might be a bit spotty at first, especially due to shortened days and a little bit of moulting. She keeps investigating the 3 nest boxes I put in their coop/shed area. Se did lay her 1st egg in a nest box, which made me very happy. The shell was nice and strong, too.

Any of this reasonable? Any other thoughts? TIA

Sounds like she just hasn't got her schedule down yet.
Some say the "curtsie" or "squatting for you" is a good indicator they are going to start laying for you, but others say it's not. I have no comment on that subject. 😉

Oh and congrats on her first egg... Yaaay!!

I have not been consistent with giving them 12 hours of light a day, but they do get at least 10, since I have a utility light in the coop.
If you're going to use supplemental lighting, it must be consistent.
Get a timer on there.

They seem to have started to do a little more moulting.
They have several juvenile molts from hatch to about 6 months old.
Leghorn are a production breed so not surprised that one has started laying and the other are not ready yet.

Back
Top Bottom