New layer, worm inside egg?

Minanora

The Cuckoo Lady
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2023
Atascadero, CA
I have 6 pullets, 5 are laying, one laid an egg in the box today that had no shell, only a membrane. I broke it in the sink and it had what appears to be a worm inside. Any insight is appreciated.

Is it a worm? What is my next step? Should I be worried?
20230804_141743.jpg
20230804_141708.jpg

Panicking a bit... I'm thinking this is a roundworm? My stomach is still turning from finding this egg.

Any advice? Fenbendazole? Or what to use to treat? Do I need to remove all of their bedding (we were/are doing deep litter in the coop) and sterilize their run? I have praziquantel (Prazipro) which is 1oz per 120 gallons to produce a concentration of 2.5mg/L. Am I just crazy; is it not a worm?

I'm terrified that the humans and dogs of the house are going to get worms now. I always tell my 5 year old to wash his hands when he's handled the chickens but I'm worried that I've not caught every instance. Plus the dogs LOVE chicken poop.... UGH!

Looks more like a yolk follicle tail, not a worm. It's pretty rare to find a worm in an egg.
🤔 I've never seen or heard of such a thing..... It did appear to become one with the rest of the yolk body, like an umbilical cord to a placenta. I didn't dig around much... I had the faucet sprayer close and got grossed out... so I sprayed it away! TO THE ABYSS!

🤔 I've never seen or heard of such a thing..... It did appear to become one with the rest of the yolk body, like an umbilical cord to a placenta. I didn't dig around much... I had the faucet sprayer close and got grossed out... so I sprayed it away! TO THE ABYSS!
If you google chicken egg follicles, you can see how the yolks are developed, sometimes they get tails.

@nuthatched and @dawg53 thank you both.

New layer adventure. It's still bizarre to me. The yolk was mottled and very difficult to break up. Like I said, it had no shell, just a membrane. Still rolled to the back of the roll away box though! These girls started laying last week. This is Fidgets second egg. Still... I'll probably start cracking eggs into bowls before I cook them for a bit. I'm usually a "straight into the pan" kinda person. Not anymore! 😂

Back
Top Bottom