New layers......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by murdeb, Dec 18, 2011.

1. murdeb

murdeb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    My 2 BO's starting laying a few weeks ago and two days in a row I found an egg that was wet, seemed to have some type of watery substance on it, is this normal?[​IMG]

2. lolita117

lolita117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    Those are freshly laid eggs! When a chicken lays her eggs there is the wet stuff all over it. Soon it dries. This coating protects the egg for air and microbes. Don't worry, its normal.

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    They do come out wet of course and soft, but harden and dry as the air hits them. That is why bits of straw/grass/shavings sticks to them. Sounds normal to me, unless the shell is really soft.

4. Nikki82

Nikki82 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    The eggs I get are like that if I get them right after they were laid. After a couple minutes they are dry. It's just the natural 'lubrication' that they need to be laid...

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    That is strange! I don't seem to get that. I've picked up eggs less than a minute after they were laid, fresh from Chicken, and they're perfectly dry with nothing stuck to them. It must be the weather here. It's too hot for anyone's good. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by