New laying hen question

My first chickens have just started laying these last few weeks. I wonder if there is a post somewhere on broody behavior. One of my New Hampshires is spending a lot of her time in the nest box. It might be she is having trouble laying one of her double-yolk eggs, but I also saw her on the coop floor when all others were out free-ranging, picking up bedding and throwing it over her shoulder. Hadn't seen that from any of them before. Also, is there a post on breaking broody behavior when it does occur (if you don't want it).

There are several threads on broody girls. Try touching her and if she ruffles and growls..then she is broody. What you are seeing does sound broody to me. They demonstrate a change in personality til it's over.

There are a lot of posts of how folks break broody, but most seem cruel to me. It is a hormonal thing..high Prolactin levels..and truly I don't really believe it can be broken, just that some stay broody for a short time and others don't wanna give it up. 2 of my 3 BO's go broody too often, drives me crazy. Their PMS moods effect everyone in the flock. One can have hers last 1-2 days or up to several weeks. The other is the queen of broody and last one was 2 solid months.

Likely you'll get a much different view than me, but I believe in letting mother nature run her course.

Back
Top Bottom