New laying hen question

Bassbum2

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 15, 2014
Massachusetts
I have a White Leghorn that started laying eggs about 4 weeks ago, she laid 5 eggs in 7 days then stopped. She acts normal and eats good, she is very energetic like you would expect a leghorn to be. should I be worried about her or is it normal for them to take such a long break? she will be 21 weeks old in a couple of days.

Russell

As long as she is acting normally, I would not worry. If she is free range, may be laying elsewhere? If confined, then hormones may still be up and down, like teenagers

As long as she is acting normally, I would not worry. If she is free range, may be laying elsewhere? If confined, then hormones may still be up and down, like teenagers
She is confined, I would like to free range them for part of the day but I am afraid they will go over the fence and my dog would be all over them in a second and would most likely kill them.

Russell

Hi

Is it possible that she or one of your other hens is eating her eggs before you go to collect them? Do you see her go into the nest box or hear her sing the egg song?
Another possibility is that a predator is lurking around the coop at night and she is stressed by it or perhaps even your dog being nearby.
Or maybe, if you have added new chickens to the flock, that could upset her system?

The important thing is that she is eating and drinking and looking healthy and active, so hopefully she will get over this hiatus and start laying again soon.

Regards

Barbara

Hi

Is it possible that she or one of your other hens is eating her eggs before you go to collect them? Do you see her go into the nest box or hear her sing the egg song?
Another possibility is that a predator is lurking around the coop at night and she is stressed by it or perhaps even your dog being nearby.
Or maybe, if you have added new chickens to the flock, that could upset her system?

The important thing is that she is eating and drinking and looking healthy and active, so hopefully she will get over this hiatus and start laying again soon.

Regards

Barbara
She should be used to the dog by now. The dog can't get very close to the coop. I don't think it is stress from predators as we live in an area that doesn't normally have much to worry about. I have seen her in the nest box once or twice but no egg, we check several times a day so I don't think she is eating them. I did get rid of my roo and added two new pullets so maybe that is the culprit. Hopefully she will get back on track soon as I am told they are normally very dependable once they start.

Russell

Also watch for broody signs. Leghorns aren't supposed to be a broody breed, but she may not have read the books on chicken behavior. But sounds like the flock addition might be the cause. Hope she starts to lay again soon.

The day I brought home the new additions was the day we found the first egg and she laid 4 more with the new addition. The new additions were several days apart so maybe it was the second pullet that caused the stress. I hope that is all it is. I tried telling her she needs to start laying again soon or she will be introduced the the BBQ grill but she hasn't taken the warning yet.

Russell

Doesn't sound like stress with the additional info.

Are you are certain she's not had even a brief broody mood. One of my BO * and they often go broody* has had a couple of brief - 1-2 days broody episodes and didn't lay for 3 full weeks after. If I didn't have hen cam in coop, would not have suspected she sat the nest so long…cause she never failed to come running for treat time and without camera would not have suspected it.

And you have them confined...Have you searched to be 100% sure she hasn't located a more secluded place to lay in the coop or run areas?

Guess I'm out of thoughts about this…sure wish she'll start back soon…don't want her on the menu!
hit.gif

When my 6 girls were nearing laying age, we threatened the grill but they ignored the threat…cause they knew we loved them anyway
love.gif

I have checked everywhere they could possibly be unless she is taking lessons from the dog and burying them. As far as her going broody, I couldn't answer that question for certain but I doubt it. she never spent more that 30 minutes in the nest box that I have observed.

Russell

I have checked everywhere they could possibly be unless she is taking lessons from the dog and burying them. As far as her going broody, I couldn't answer that question for certain but I doubt it. she never spent more that 30 minutes in the nest box that I have observed.

Russell
Never heard of a chicken burying their eggs. Definitely does not sound like broody, so she's true to her breed.

Sorry, out of ideas. Maybe you need to consider a stealth camera?

Back
Top Bottom