New laying hens picking on existing flock

Shandawn

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2017
HI there. I just purchased 3 new hens that are about a year old. They are great layers and very healthy. However when I tried to integrate them into my existing (younger) flock of four, the new hens took runs at my existing birds, pecked at their feet and chased them out of the coop! The younger ones are about 8 months old. They are separated now but I would like them to all be together at some point! Has anyone else had this happen to them? I see many articles about new hens getting picked on but I have the opposite problem!!

Temporarily divide the coop and run so they can see but not touch each other. They need a few weeks to get accustomed before letting them in together. And when they are allowed to integrate, make sure there are feed and water stations for each group.
Good luck!
And welcome to BYC!!!!!

Temporarily divide the coop and run so they can see but not touch each other. They need a few weeks to get accustomed before letting them in together. And when they are allowed to integrate, make sure there are feed and water stations for each group.
Good luck!
Thank-you! I was so upset. I thought by adding older birds I would be okay.
Good luck!
And welcome to BYC!!!!!
Thank-you! I was pretty upset they didn't get along but I guess I will just have to be patient!

I'm going to take a wild guess - these new hens are either Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks. Or one of the more aggressive breeds.

And it's normal for younger chickens to be intimidated by older ones. The older chickens pick up on this and it sets up the scene for bullying.

It works out better to keep new-to-each-other chickens on opposite sides of a barricade for a period of time before letting them mingle. This gives them all time to size each other up and become familiar. Chickens prefer to ease into new relationships.

I'm going to take a wild guess - these new hens are either Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks. Or one of the more aggressive breeds.

And it's normal for younger chickens to be intimidated by older ones. The older chickens pick up on this and it sets up the scene for bullying.

It works out better to keep new-to-each-other chickens on opposite sides of a barricade for a period of time before letting them mingle. This gives them all time to size each other up and become familiar. Chickens prefer to ease into new relationships.

Thank-you azygous! I really appreciate your help! I am also going to read your articles. I hope I can integrate them at some point. However if they can't get along we have made another run and a separate spot for them in the coop! The breed is Lohmanns. I read they were really docile birds that get along very well, that is why I purchased them...:(

Back
Top Bottom