New lone chick won't eat organic chick starter

Menkit

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2023
I have mother hen and one chick together however the chick only eats what the mother eats so she has been eating mashed banana, mango, layer mash, millet, sardine, lettuce, sweet potato, bug mix. I offer her organic chick starter but she only eats what mama eats. What to do? Should I only feed the mother chick starter? Help! Bub is only 10 days old and very small. She doesn't appear to eat very much. Hope someone can guide me....

I always feed mother and chicks starter grower feed only. The extra nutrients in it helps the mom recover from the effects of brooding on her body over the past 21 days. I keep them separate from flock, but where they can still see the flock with my set up, until integration time.
And after a few weeks I give them a few scrambled eggs because it's good for them, helps them bond with me too😊and come when called.They learn to be as excited to see you as the rest of the flock...but my chickens are treated as pets.

Thank you so much for your help. As of this morning I offered the mother and chick only starter but they weren't interested. So I tried oats and they did eat some. I checked the chick's crop, seemed empty, and he had patches of fur missing from his neck. Will follow your guidelines from now on. Fingers crossed!

Welcome to BYC!
Definitely stop feeding all the treats; they are not healthy.
It might take a while for them to eat the chick starter, as they have been spoiled, but if that is all they have then they will soon start eating it.
The only treat I feed too young chicks is a bit of hardboiled egg, but even that should be just occasional.
My mother hens will start free ranging at some point, and then they find bugs and seeds, but if they can't do that than just chick starter is best.

Feed her and the chick the grower, they will eat when they are hungry. They're just a bit spoiled by all the treats which are not really good for momma and especially not good for a growing chick.

All great ideas, thank you so much!! Hopefully not to late to turn this all around. Much appreciation to you all.

All great ideas, thank you so much!! Hopefully not to late to turn this all around. Much appreciation to you all.

Hmmm they barely ate any chick starter all day and were very hungry by tonight, especially the chick, but STILL didn't go for the chick starter. I sure as heck hope they eat tomorrow morning. How long should I wait of them not eating before becoming concerned about starvation (for chick, not mum)? Is it ok to offer them chopped up lettuce / greens / grasses in the meantime? Or is that regarded as a treat?

Back
Top Bottom