New mail order Chicks, Bloody poop

She is being eaten by the other chicks. Chickens are cannibals, its looking pretty bad. Chickens are attracted to blood. :(

Hopefully one of the experts tagged will come and help. But for now, separate her, immediately.

Get a little tub or bowl, and put aome warm water into it with a few drops of dish soap. Soak it for a few minutes, and gently clean it off. Look for an injury or a prolapsed vent that might have been pecked. The intestines can come out or be pulled out with a prolapse. Hopefully, no intestines are out, otherwise the chick would need to be put down. If there is just a prolapsed vent, then apply some vaseline or oil/ointment, and keep it moist. Take a new picture when dry before ointment. Separate the chick so others won’t peck at it.

Them being mailed to you has nothing to do with them having pasty but two weeks later.

What temperature are you keeping them in your house at?
What exactly are you feeding them?
They had pasty butt for the whole two weeks, everyday I check all 26 chicks for pasty butt and clean it off. 4 chicks have it pretty bad. I ordered 7 different breeds. 1 Americauna, 4 Marans(2 different one), 2 Olive Eggers, 2 Amberlinks, 1 Welsummer, and 15 Rhode Island. We ended up with 16 Rhode Island’s as they sent an extra one. I keep each chick well documented, how it’s doing, what it eats, what their poop looks like. The only breed to have pasty butt is the Rhode Island Red and there are four of them to have it. I have never ordered this breed before, and we were raising them for a friend. I have used this mail order company before, and like I said had pasty butt with 1 chick from the last order.

Out of 26 chicks, the four that have pasty butt are the Rhode Island Red. Out of the more than 60 chicks I have raised only the mail order chicks have ever had pasty butt. I am sure it’s nothing we are doing, feed, temp, etc. This is very new for us, very scary, we never culled a chick. But I don’t want her to suffer, now she’s been in my arms an hour.

Unfortunately the last picture posted does look like intestines are coming out, and she will probably not survive this. Make sure that it is intestines and not poop. She should be put down if her intestines are outside . It is hard to do, but pruning shears or removing the head with scissors is very quick. Are the chicks pecking each other’s vents?

Get a little tub or bowl, and put aome warm water into it with a few drops of dish soap. Soak it for a few minutes, and gently clean it off. Look for an injury or a prolapsed vent that might have been pecked. The intestines can come out or be pulled out with a prolapse. Hopefully, no intestines are out, otherwise the chick would need to be put down. If there is just a prolapsed vent, then apply some vaseline or oil/ointment, and keep it moist. Take a new picture when dry before ointment. Separate the chick so others won’t peck at it.
Thank you, this is very helpful, I was afraid we would have to put her down. 😢 Did you see this last picture, I am afraid it is intestines?

747E33C7-AC58-4520-A3B9-7C5116F3275F.jpeg

Unfortunately the last picture posted does look like intestines are coming out, and she will probably not survive this. Make sure that it is intestines and not poop. She should be put down if her intestines are outside . It is hard to do, but pruning shears or removing the head with scissors is very quick. Are the chicks pecking each other’s vents?
Okay thank you, I was afraid of this. I know this is apart of raising chickens, but I am so sad. You have been a lot of help.

My eyes are eighty years old and I can't see the intestines, but if they are out, I agree with @Eggcessive that the chick should be euthanized.

Your RIR chicks may be a bit more aggressive than your other chicks so keep an eye out for any more developing injuries and paint them immediately with Blu-kote so the chicks aren't attracted to the red of a fresh injury and make it worse as has happened with this chick.

This article I wrote may have some tips you can use to keep the peace in baby chick world. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior.72029/

My eyes are eighty years old and I can't see the intestines, but if they are out, I agree with @Eggcessive that the chick should be euthanized.

Your RIR chicks may be a bit more aggressive than your other chicks so keep an eye out for any more developing injuries and paint them immediately with Blu-kote so the chicks aren't attracted to the red of a fresh injury and make it worse as has happened with this chick.

This article I wrote may have some tips you can use to keep the peace in baby chick world. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior.72029/
This is so smart, to paint with Blu-kote, I didn’t know they had such a thing. Last time we only had 12 baby chicks at once which seems more of a natural number, a mother hen in no way would have 26 baby chicks to deal with. Thank you, I have learned my lesson. I was trying to help out someone who only could get them when they are 7 weeks and can live outside. Our chicks are not very aggressive, but a sore butt probably stands out. And the mere number of them exaggerates their activeness.

I was able to muster the strength to cut her neck and bury her in our berry patch. It was very difficult on me, I cried a lot , but eventually I do want to raise meat birds and this will prepare me for that.

Back
Top Bottom