New mail order Chicks, Bloody poop

NoorJanan

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 23, 2014
My chicks are 14 days old, I ordered 25 by mail order. 4 of them have had really bad pasty butt. This one pooped out bloody thing that may be it’s intestines, I don’t know what it is or what to do?
8704F775-D115-441E-82AA-7AAA67CF63A9.jpeg

961E9F3B-3541-497C-B0C0-48BCABF380C9.jpeg

My eyes are eighty years old and I can't see the intestines, but if they are out, I agree with @Eggcessive that the chick should be euthanized.

Your RIR chicks may be a bit more aggressive than your other chicks so keep an eye out for any more developing injuries and paint them immediately with Blu-kote so the chicks aren't attracted to the red of a fresh injury and make it worse as has happened with this chick.

This article I wrote may have some tips you can use to keep the peace in baby chick world. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior.72029/
This is so smart, to paint with Blu-kote, I didn’t know they had such a thing. Last time we only had 12 baby chicks at once which seems more of a natural number, a mother hen in no way would have 26 baby chicks to deal with. Thank you, I have learned my lesson. I was trying to help out someone who only could get them when they are 7 weeks and can live outside. Our chicks are not very aggressive, but a sore butt probably stands out. And the mere number of them exaggerates their activeness.

I was able to muster the strength to cut her neck and bury her in our berry patch. It was very difficult on me, I cried a lot , but eventually I do want to raise meat birds and this will prepare me for that.

Unfortunately the last picture posted does look like intestines are coming out, and she will probably not survive this. Make sure that it is intestines and not poop. She should be put down if her intestines are outside . It is hard to do, but pruning shears or removing the head with scissors is very quick. Are the chicks pecking each other’s vents?

My eyes are eighty years old and I can't see the intestines, but if they are out, I agree with @Eggcessive that the chick should be euthanized.

Your RIR chicks may be a bit more aggressive than your other chicks so keep an eye out for any more developing injuries and paint them immediately with Blu-kote so the chicks aren't attracted to the red of a fresh injury and make it worse as has happened with this chick.

This article I wrote may have some tips you can use to keep the peace in baby chick world. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior.72029/

Get a little tub or bowl, and put aome warm water into it with a few drops of dish soap. Soak it for a few minutes, and gently clean it off. Look for an injury or a prolapsed vent that might have been pecked. The intestines can come out or be pulled out with a prolapse. Hopefully, no intestines are out, otherwise the chick would need to be put down. If there is just a prolapsed vent, then apply some vaseline or oil/ointment, and keep it moist. Take a new picture when dry before ointment. Separate the chick so others won’t peck at it.

Unfortunately the last picture posted does look like intestines are coming out, and she will probably not survive this. Make sure that it is intestines and not poop. She should be put down if her intestines are outside . It is hard to do, but pruning shears or removing the head with scissors is very quick. Are the chicks pecking each other’s vents?
Okay thank you, I was afraid of this. I know this is apart of raising chickens, but I am so sad. You have been a lot of help.

Back
Top Bottom