New Mallard Mom.

Star78

In the Brooder
May 17, 2016
California
I have a juvenile mallard, I bought as a baby about 8 wks ago. I have no idea the sex either. I consider him a boy & have named him Lloyd. I only have the one mallard & he stays inside the house a lot of the time, except when we go into the yard together, so he can swim in his pool. I guess what I'm wanting to know is how will I know if he really is a boy & if I'm taking care of him properly?

Hi and welcome to BYC. While some members do keep single ducks / chickens - they are social animals and benefit from company of their own kind. You could post a photo of your duck on the "Duck" forum where the duck experts will help you out with gender.

Best wishes

CT

I actually did post on the duck forum also & have gotten some help. I didn't know it wasn't good to only have 1 duck. He's a pet though & gets tons of attention. He's actually pretty spoiled & one of the best pets I've ever had.

Last edited:
YES do visit the "show us your house ducks," thread there is also a "people with house chickens," thread. I have even read of house geese.

I don't really know which one it is, to be honest, cuz he makes both sounds & even sounds like a goose sometimes. He might actually be older than 8 wks, cuz I've had him for 2 months & I picked one of the larger ducklings out of all of them. I got him a week before Easter. I'm going to love him regardless of his actual sex, just be weird calling him Lloyd if he's a girl. LOL.

I don't really know which one it is, to be honest, cuz he makes both sounds & even sounds like a goose sometimes. He might actually be older than 8 wks, cuz I've had him for 2 months & I picked one of the larger ducklings out of all of them. I got him a week before Easter. I'm going to love him regardless of his actual sex, just be weird calling him Lloyd if he's a girl. LOL.

If Lloyd all out does strings of quacks though, then Lloyd is a girl... they will make other sounds as well, it's just the girls that flat out quack like that, boys cannot...

The only time he really gets loud is if he's lost me & can't see me. The rest the time it's just peeps & chatter noises. And kinda chicken sounding too @ times. He's kinda onry & gets snippy. He chases my cat & small dogs. They know to run from him though & get where he can't reach them. From what I've been told so far, I think he is a she. Do females need different care, than males?

RavynFallen I did listen to the duck calls again & yes Lloyd sounds like a girl. Makes the same noises as the hens in the thing u sent me, but also makes same sounds as the males too. Is it possible to have a females make noises like the males too? Lloyd is pretty verbal, all sounds loud & quiet ones.

Back
Top Bottom