New member down in Deep East Texas

Llamaranch

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Milam, TX
Hi all ...I am Bill and we are in Deep East TX about seven miles West of LA border. We have Llamas and Alpacas hence the Llamaranch alias. I had chickens at the former residence in North TX for several years.
My granddaughter (Baleigh) and I decided we need to get chickens again so we can have real good eggs....well long story short the peeps will be here mid May and the chicken house is under construction. We wanted one where you didn't have to have it all muddy everywhere when it rains so the house is elevated and will have an auto door and enclosed run to protect the flock. We'll post some pictures when we can. It has been fun working on it!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Some sand in the run will help take care of the mud problem too. Here's a discussion on it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/250190/anyone-use-sand-in-the-run-coop/0_30

Enjoy the site and your chickens!

Hi all ...I am Bill and we are in Deep East TX about seven miles West of LA border. We have Llamas and Alpacas hence the Llamaranch alias. I had chickens at the former residence in North TX for several years.
My granddaughter (Baleigh) and I decided we need to get chickens again so we can have real good eggs....well long story short the peeps will be here mid May and the chicken house is under construction. We wanted one where you didn't have to have it all muddy everywhere when it rains so the house is elevated and will have an auto door and enclosed run to protect the flock. We'll post some pictures when we can. It has been fun working on it!
Welcome from Magnolia TX. check in on the Texas thread There are several folks from your area who will have good ideas for coops in the Texas summers

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, sand sand and more sand! I worship sand. It is bedding from the gods!! It stays dry when wet, it is easy to maintain, keeps the poop smells down, flies stay away and is soft on the chickens pads. And some sand comes with gizzards stones included! I use it in coops, runs and even nest boxes!

Sumi has left you with a great link for sand. Here is another thread I like about sand as well.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Good luck with your coop construction and if you have any questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom