New Member from Chicago, IL

Thank you, I found a link. They aren't illegal, just that I'll get noise complaints. I don't think my neighbors will complain as they both have loud parties into the wee hours and the police doesn't care to come anymore. Right now as we speak, I feel like we are at a carnival with a party around the corner. They seem to get louder and louder these days.
I only have two hens. Wanted then just for pets. To make sure mu neighbors wouldn't mind, I give them the eggs. A little bribery never hurts lol.

I only have two hens. Wanted then just for pets. To make sure mu neighbors wouldn't mind, I give them the eggs. A little bribery never hurts lol.
When we go on vacation one neighbor watches ours and I will give them the eggs. They have full use of their yard and grow veggies and share with us as well. I told my husband, I don't mind the music as much if they'd invite us in the neighborhood 😅🤣😂

When we go on vacation one neighbor watches ours and I will give them the eggs. They have full use of their yard and grow veggies and share with us as well. I told my husband, I don't mind the music as much if they'd invite us in the neighborhood 😅🤣😂
That's one way to handle it!

Welcome to BYC, glad you found the site.

BTW, I'm in NC but my daughter, SIL, and two grandchildren live in Chicago too!

Hello everyone, I'm a new member to BYC, but not new to the great advice on this platform. Just finally decided to sign-up. I've had chickens since 2017, but in the last two weeks 2 were killed, cause I forgot to close the coop and today found our 3rd one attacked without skin. I totally feel horrible because this has happened. I've been overworked and tired and just plain exhausted. I have our last hen recovering in the coop. My current question is how to do maintain a steady time to let them out to free range and remember to close the coop before it gets too dark out?
Update: (Australorp attacked on Saturday morning) Today got vetericyn and sprayed it liberally as directions say. A couple of times actually. Then we soaked a microfiber towel with the product and placed it over her wound. Didn't bandage this time to stay in place. We wrapped her up in a towel instead. Her flesh smelled as I got closer. I have been giving her 81mg of aspirin once a day for pain. We've fed her chicken broth and water, and her grains. Today we caught her pecking her food several times since we placed a camera to watch her now. Besides the smell of her flesh, she seems to be perked up or even feisty. I think those are good things. Warning, picture is graphic but it's not all bloody like it was at the beginning. She is also showing signs of bruising on the side, not on the picture. It looks green like gangrene, but learned through BYC it was bruising. Praying more health for her. Can't tend to her too much cause I have to go into the office, so doing the best we can.

Attachments

• Resized_image000000001.jpeg
    Resized_image000000001.jpeg
    654.5 KB · Views: 4
Update: (Australorp attacked on Saturday morning) Today got vetericyn and sprayed it liberally as directions say. A couple of times actually. Then we soaked a microfiber towel with the product and placed it over her wound. Didn't bandage this time to stay in place. We wrapped her up in a towel instead. Her flesh smelled as I got closer. I have been giving her 81mg of aspirin once a day for pain. We've fed her chicken broth and water, and her grains. Today we caught her pecking her food several times since we placed a camera to watch her now. Besides the smell of her flesh, she seems to be perked up or even feisty. I think those are good things. Warning, picture is graphic but it's not all bloody like it was at the beginning. She is also showing signs of bruising on the side, not on the picture. It looks green like gangrene, but learned through BYC it was bruising. Praying more health for her. Can't tend to her too much cause I have to go into the office, so doing the best we can.
If it smells bad it's likely not just bruising. Healthy tissue should not smell bad. Infected rotting tissue does.

We hope she's not rotting, but thank you for letting us know.
Update: 4th day since attack. The good thing is that Chocolate (Cho - coe - latte) is not smelling bad, she mostly wants to sleep. I'm still giving her a daily 81mg aspirin, chicken stock about 2 tbsps, her feed, and today I added a scrambled egg to her menu. Still spraying her with veterycin at least twice a day if not more. We took off the towels that wrapped her as she's wiggling about a bit in the coop. She falls asleep on her food so we moved it away. I work from home today and took my lunch in the sun with her. She let out a big shart and her poop looked normal. The towel can be washed anyway. She won't stand nor sit up, but I don't see any bruising on her limbs. We placed her back in her coop to rest. Here are some photo updates.

Attachments

• 20221005_135356.jpg
    20221005_135356.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221005_135427.jpg
    20221005_135427.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221005_143540.jpg
    20221005_143540.jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221005_144805.jpg
    20221005_144805.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 2CAA8EB7F4E6_1664999924058.jpg
    2CAA8EB7F4E6_1664999924058.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Update: 4th day since attack. The good thing is that Chocolate (Cho - coe - latte) is not smelling bad, she mostly wants to sleep. I'm still giving her a daily 81mg aspirin, chicken stock about 2 tbsps, her feed, and today I added a scrambled egg to her menu. Still spraying her with veterycin at least twice a day if not more. We took off the towels that wrapped her as she's wiggling about a bit in the coop. She falls asleep on her food so we moved it away. I work from home today and took my lunch in the sun with her. She let out a big shart and her poop looked normal. The towel can be washed anyway. She won't stand nor sit up, but I don't see any bruising on her limbs. We placed her back in her coop to rest. Here are some photo updates.
@Wyorp Rock how does this look to you?

I am glad to meet you, and totally impressed by your skills at nursing your Chocolate from the beginning. I am so glad she is beginning to heal.

Here are some pictures that might help you see the difference between what we think of as "chicken wire" compared to "hardware cloth," which has square holes. Hardware cloth has heavier wire which is why it's better protection against predators. Here is an article about how to improve predator protection on existing and new coops and runs. It is not long, and has helpful pictures.

Here is a link to some designs for runs, some of which can be built with relatively inexpensive materials, and sometimes found items.
1. Hoop Design (probably the most cost effective design that gives a walk-in coop or run
2. Alternate Hoop designs and More Hoop designs
3. Combined Open Air Coop and Run
4. 24 Chicken Runs

Back
Top Bottom