New member from Northern California!

koreecat

Chirping
Mar 1, 2021
Elk Grove, CA
Hi! I’m Koree, and I am brand new to chickens. I work at an animal shelter and currently have cats, dogs, and reptiles but recently started working with a large group of chickens at the shelter I work at. We have over 100 chickens, ducks, pigeons, and guinea fowl taken from a property where they weren’t being well cared for. They’ve been at our shelter for about 2.5 months now and I’ve started clicker training some of them for enrichment.

I never considered keeping chickens before, but I’ve become really attached to a few of them so I’m trying to decide if it would be responsible and doable to adopt a few of them when they are released from their legal hold.

I adore animals, as a single woman with my own home most of my house and furniture is reserved for animal use! I currently have 3 cats, 2 small dogs (all rescues), and 5 reptiles that are so fun to provide care for.

I found BYC through Google searching for advice online and decided to join so I could ask some questions and get feedback from other chicken keepers!

Welcome to BYC Koree!
42989A64-AC5C-46E7-B607-1039899E7998.png

Hi Korea. Welcome to BYC! Check out the coop build section. You'll need to consider housing for your chickens. Are you in an HMO or city limits? Have you checked local laws?
Within city limits, but I can have up to 5 hens as long as they are kept in a coop/run (can free range when I’m supervising, just not regularly and I wouldn’t want to because I know we have plenty of predators). No roosters allowed which makes me so sad because one of my favorite “students” is a handsome Roo! I actually work for the local animal services agency so luckily am very well versed with what I am and am not allowed to have.

I have a nice sized yard and I know for these particular birds, anything I could build would be a significant improvement but I still wouldn’t want to bring them home if I couldn’t provide them the best care possible!

Back
Top Bottom