New member from Northern WI!

LSBCHX

Hatching
7 Years
May 31, 2012
Bayfield, Wisconsin
Hello anybody reading this!

I am new to the chicken world and so far all my knowledge has come from "Stoney's Guide to Raising Chickens" and Google. Hoping to make some knowledgeable friends on backyardchickens! I currently have 4 Ameraucanas who are 2 weeks old who are living in my extra bedroom in a brooder and will be staying in there until they get their feathers (frost advisory for us tonight up here!). I ordered them from my local Agricultural Center who said they are all pullets I am interested in meeting anyone who knows about northern WI winters, predators, and has any helpful tips.

- My chicks at one week old

So far my project is getting the outdoor coop ready. This is what I have so far:

I still need a roof (lots of raptors here) and would appreciate some tips :) I am going to bury that chicken wire to keep out the foxes living under my neighbors house. I have a 11lb feeder and 3 gallon heated waterer that are not shown. I am interested in hearing about deep litter or what people use for their coop floors

Now I just want to show off my favorite :)

Anyways, I appreciate any comments or tips that you experienced peeps have! Thanks!

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Hello and :welcome

Glad to have you on board! Your coop looks good so far. Heaps of folks use hardware cloth, maybe even a double layer, to predator-proof roofs and walls. :p
If you want to meet other people in your state, check out the Where am I, where are you section.

I like your last pic! That's cute. :lol:

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Hello and welcome to BYC! Gorgeous chicks, nice photos
smile.png

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
frow.gif

At 2 weeks of age, your chicks still need about 85 degree temp, dropping about 5 degrees per week, until they are fully feathered at 6 weeks of age. If your spring has been cool like ours, especially when it drops at night, your chicks are likely to need supplemental heat for another several weeks,

I agree with the advice to wrap at least the bottom of your run with hardware cloth, and cover it over with poultry netting (the heavy-duty kind) or chicken wire to prevent predation.

Good luck!

Thanks all for your hellos, congrats, and advice! I will definitely use your expertise if needed. Much love!

1muttsfan - I went to NMU, love the UP, wish they had more jobs :) Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom