new member greetings!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: What purpose or characteristics do you want your chickens for would be the question. You should read about some individually. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

I want friendly easy going hens, as I will be teaching my two sons to help care for them and I dont want them to get frightened.
I will be getting them as chicks regardless of what we pick, as I want the whole experience.
egg laying is secondary to my sons learning a love for self sustaining and getting involved with the chickens. we will also be getting a green house :)

It is a Category III violation of this article for the owner or keeper of any domestic animal to:
(11) Dye or color artificially any animal or fowl, including but not limited to, rabbits, baby chickens and ducklings. (12) Sell, offer for sale or give away for purposes of premiums, pets or toys, any baby chicken, duckling, or other fowl under four (4) weeks of age or rabbit under two (2) months of age.

As of 12/2016
Roosters allowed: No
Max #: 4 per residential household
Slaughter allowed: No
Permit required: Yes
Hens must be kept in a covered, fenced run and coop.
Max size of coop and pen area: 100sqft
A coop exceeding 50sqft in size requires a building permit
Max coop height: 6ft
Coop must be in rear yard, 5ft from sides, 15ft from any side street
Coop and pen area must be kept clean
Hens cannot free range unless supervised
Eggs or manure produced by hens cannot be sold.
Hens can't be bred
Other poultry not allowed
Hens no longer wanted by their owners must be relocated to a farm our agribusiness accepting chickens

thank you so much!!

I want friendly easy going hens, as I will be teaching my two sons to help care for them and I dont want them to get frightened.
I will be getting them as chicks regardless of what we pick, as I want the whole experience.
egg laying is secondary to my sons learning a love for self sustaining and getting involved with the chickens. we will also be getting a green house :)
I hope the best for you, your boys and the chickens. Ask anyone who loves chickens and they will tell you they are good therapy, and even better for the soul.
:love:frow

Barred Rocks, black sex links and buff orpingtons are friendly and decent layers. There is a lot more on the list too! I personally wouldn't recommend red sex links who are notably high in egg production which generally promotes a short lifespan. Some of have the best disposition but others who have had experience,(including myself) have owned a few that are aggressive.
Good luck!

Black Australorps are also a very easy going, friendly breed. Most of the ones I've had are ok with being held and petted. Also good for about 5+ eggs per week. Your boys would love them, and they usually live longer than the sex links and other production hybrids. There are several other breeds that have these wonderful qualities if you can get hold of them in your area.
Good luck and best wished!
:old:pop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom