New Member in Grad School - MPH project - Chicken Nutrition Survey

MPHSurveyChick

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 7, 2014
Hi Everyone - I'm new to the chicken world, and I don't have any chicks of my own yet, but I did go on the Chicago Chicken Coop tour last September. Lots of great chickens, coops and chicken owners - so I'm combining this new interest with my grad school final project.

I'm student at the George Washington University in DC - I'm from Chicago originally - and as part of my Master of Public Health program I'm evaluating this aspect of urban agriculture: backyard chickens. For this project I've created a brief online survey about chicken health and nutrition. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to complete.

The purpose of this study is to gain a better understanding of the types of feed and supplements backyard chickens are being fed, and attitudes towards these food choices.

The link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ChickenFeedSurvey

I'll be happy to share my results - I'm hoping to do my final presentation and finish the degree in January or early February.

In terms of other aspects of the project - I have no affiliation with any agricultural feed supplier or agricultural corporations - my background is actually in nursing- but I wanted to do something outside of that area for a final project. As for funding the project - I'm paying the $30 a month Survey Monkey fee myself. There really are no other expenses for the project.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide. The more responses I get, the better the project!

welcome-byc.gif

I completed your online survey- good luck with your project!

Did you know Chicago allows chickens? I lived there for the first 22 years of my life and never knew that. If Chicago allows them you would think the smaller cities and towns wouldn't be so strict. Welcome to Back yard chickens.

You would probably reach a much larger base of chickeners if you started a thread elsewhere(this is just new members) on BYC., regarding your project, BYC has nearly 300,000 members world wide. A moderator would probably advice you on the best forum to post in.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck with all your poultry projects and we do welcome you to our flock!

I've completed the survey. Some of the questions about antibiotics seemed odd to me. As far as I know, the way industry "routinely" uses low-grade antibiotics in chicken feed is not for health reasons, but to stimulate growth. Then medical issues are addressed separately.

I've never seen a store-brand chicken feed with antibiotics (quibbling over the categorization of medicated chick starter aside).

Back
Top Bottom