1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member in Grad School - MPH project - Chicken Nutrition Survey

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MPHSurveyChick, Nov 8, 2014.

1. MPHSurveyChick

MPHSurveyChick New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    Hi Everyone - I'm new to the chicken world, and I don't have any chicks of my own yet, but I did go on the Chicago Chicken Coop tour last September. Lots of great chickens, coops and chicken owners - so I'm combining this new interest with my grad school final project.

I'm student at the George Washington University in DC - I'm from Chicago originally - and as part of my Master of Public Health program I'm evaluating this aspect of urban agriculture: backyard chickens. For this project I've created a brief online survey about chicken health and nutrition. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to complete.

The purpose of this study is to gain a better understanding of the types of feed and supplements backyard chickens are being fed, and attitudes towards these food choices.

The link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ChickenFeedSurvey

I'll be happy to share my results - I'm hoping to do my final presentation and finish the degree in January or early February.

In terms of other aspects of the project - I have no affiliation with any agricultural feed supplier or agricultural corporations - my background is actually in nursing- but I wanted to do something outside of that area for a final project. As for funding the project - I'm paying the $30 a month Survey Monkey fee myself. There really are no other expenses for the project.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide. The more responses I get, the better the project!

2. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG]

I completed your online survey- good luck with your project!

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I did it too!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck to you!

5. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Ok...it's all done. Good luck!!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Did you know Chicago allows chickens? I lived there for the first 22 years of my life and never knew that. If Chicago allows them you would think the smaller cities and towns wouldn't be so strict. Welcome to Back yard chickens.

You would probably reach a much larger base of chickeners if you started a thread elsewhere(this is just new members) on BYC., regarding your project, BYC has nearly 300,000 members world wide. A moderator would probably advice you on the best forum to post in.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with all your poultry projects and we do welcome you to our flock!

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] good luck with your project.

10. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    I've completed the survey. Some of the questions about antibiotics seemed odd to me. As far as I know, the way industry "routinely" uses low-grade antibiotics in chicken feed is not for health reasons, but to stimulate growth. Then medical issues are addressed separately.

I've never seen a store-brand chicken feed with antibiotics (quibbling over the categorization of medicated chick starter aside).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by