New member intro

kimihardesty

Hatching
Jul 4, 2019
Hi, I am new to the chicken world and so glad I found this website. Currently I have four pullets-two Black Stars and two Sapphire Gems. They will be two months old on Aug 3. I love them! They are so much fun. I got them for the eggs and a new hobby.

They are in a large dog crate inside a fenced in area 18X18 and my neighbor is about to build a coop and run for me. I've been doing a lot of research on coops and runs and would appreciate any "lessons learned" or just thoughts in general. I plan to use sand, to have a raised coop probably 24sq ft with the run around 8X10 or so. I was thinking of a pull out drawer for easy cleaning and making 3 nesting boxes from plywood.

Any comments welcome!

Kimi

Welcome!
chickens.jpg

Hi, I am new to the chicken world and so glad I found this website. Currently I have four pullets-two Black Stars and two Sapphire Gems. They will be two months old on Aug 3. I love them! They are so much fun. I got them for the eggs and a new hobby.

They are in a large dog crate inside a fenced in area 18X18 and my neighbor is about to build a coop and run for me. I've been doing a lot of research on coops and runs and would appreciate any "lessons learned" or just thoughts in general. I plan to use sand, to have a raised coop probably 24sq ft with the run around 8X10 or so. I was thinking of a pull out drawer for easy cleaning and making 3 nesting boxes from plywood.

Any comments welcome!

Kimi
Welcome to BYC!! I joined when I got my chickens last April. I just have a few things I would do over. 1: Put a floor in my coop, nothing fancy, just for easier cleaning, but my coop is on the ground so that’s just of you decide to do a round coop. 2:Make my coop bigger!! Once you get chickens, you never stop getting more! 3: When I first started I got all one breed, 25 as a matter of fact, and I should’ve got less so I could explore other breeds too! I love my Buff Orpingtons but there’s just so many more great breeds out there! I have gotten a few more other breeds, not very many of each though. If I didn’t free range my girls I couldn’t have as many as I have.

Welcome to BYC and I hope you learn and much and get as much advice as I already have!!

a raised coop probably 24sq ft with the run around 8X10 or so. I was thinking of a pull out drawer for easy cleaning

I'd scrap the "pull out drawer" - one that large would be unmanageable and even smaller drawers tend to clog with bedding and poop. I wouldn't even use one in a small indoor bird cage.

For cleanup you can use vinyl/linoleum to line the floor or a coating like paint or Black Jack 57, then put the bedding on top of that, and that'll protect the floor from moisture and poop.

If it's anywhere within your budget and space/zoning constraints, I'd really urge you to consider a walk-in height coop... it's far easier to clean and manage.

I'd really urge you to consider a walk-in height coop... it's far easier to clean and manage
X2!
As someone who has had both raised floor and walk-in coops, there is NO WAY I'd ever consider a raised floor coop ever again. It is SOOOOOOO much easier to manage my flock with a walk-in coop and poop boards under the roost.

Back
Top Bottom