What were your worst mistakes when you first started?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eggscaping, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Eggscaping

Eggscaping Chirping

Dec 4, 2018
    Hi peoples!

May I ask about when you began keeping chickens? What were the worst mistakes (or any mistakes worth noting, for that matter) you made? What you either wouldn't do again, wouldn't do in THAT way, or so on? Or even "I don't consider it a MISTAKE, per se - but I'd do this in a different way now that I'm more experienced."
    Thanks much!

2. 9SpiceyChickens

9SpiceyChickens Crowing

Jul 24, 2018
    In the coop, Northern CA
    Two words- "Prefab Coop"
    I'm fine with my coop- a Prefab with a hecka lot of improvements- added run, automattic door, added coop.

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Set 40 eggs Jan. 2!

This is going to be a great thread.
    :pop

Not learning about biosecurity and chicken diseases before I got chickens.

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Crossing the Road

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Not having a walk-in style coop. My back is killing me.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Closing up the coop trying to keep it warm. One needs a walk in coop, and you need enough ventilation. Don't think warm, think DRY.

And chicken math, once you recognize tension in the flock from too many birds, you will never go back. It sneaks up on you, but a predator helped me out the first time, and I realized they were so much more happy with less chickens in there.

Mrs K

6. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

Thinking young children and roosters don't mix under any circumstances, therefore, I must eliminate accidental cockerels. :hmm Turns out, this is completely false. Not all are the devil.

Wonderful thread idea, by the way! :thumbsup Can't wait for responses to come. :)

~Alex

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Like Mrs. K, I used to lock my coop up tight for the winter, and put in a heat lamp. Every winter there were respiratory issues and frostbite. Both have been greatly reduced after I stopped heating the coop and made sure they have plenty of ventilation.

8. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    :goodpost: :he :barnie:thDitto!

9. Eggscaping

Eggscaping Chirping

Dec 4, 2018
    And chicken math, once you recognize tension in the flock from too many birds, you will never go back. It sneaks up on you, but a predator helped me out the first time, and I realized they were so much more happy with less chickens in there.

Mrs K[/QUOTE]

So...what do you mean by chicken math? Are you going by the info you get when looking at coop designs? Such as, "Suitable for 4-6 chickens" and so on? Or is there another relevant equation?

10. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    :he Thinking I could LOVE a rooster into being nice.

*im thinking is there a limit to this thread cause I could really take up space*
    :lau

webbysmeme, WeSt Tn, KLIL and 36 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: