New member intro

punkybrooster

Chirping
Sep 22, 2019
Hey ya’ll! New member Kristi here, I recently started building my backyard flock in March of 2019. My goal was to have 6 bantam cochin HENS. I had no idea just how impossible and expensive my goal would become. Here it is the end of September, I have 3 bantam cochin HENS. I have one that turned out to be a cochin mix but she was the ONLY one from my first group of 4 chicks that ended up being female so she stays. I have purchased 21 birds since those original 4 chicks trying to get my flock of 6 and every chick and adolescent has been a rooster!! Hopefully one day I will have my dream girls...

I just copied the sample intro questions so here we go:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes and No. We had BBS/lavender bantam cochins on our farm when I was a kid but I wasn’t really responsible for them or anything. I just threw down scratch every once in a while and sold chicks at market in weekends with my dad. I’ve been missing the farm/country life alot lately so in March of 2019, I got my very own cochin chicks.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Right this minute I have 4 hens in the coop/yard and possibly 3 young cockerels in my basement

(3) What breeds do you have? I have 3 cochin bantam hens, one bantam cochin mix hen either with EE or d’uccle
4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I like caring for them in general, from cleaning the coop to collecting eggs. I could just sit and watch them all day!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Playing bluegrass fiddle, gardening, antique restoration/repurposing, interior design
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have an English Shepherd and Great Pyrenees mix Jolene and an English Shepherd Roscoe, a Papillon named Tr’e and a tortoise shell cat named Squeeks. Happily married with no children.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Probably 6 months. I finally joined because every time I googled a chicken question, the answer would always be on BYC!

-byc-vintage-sign.jpg

Back
Top Bottom