New member intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by punkybrooster, Sep 22, 2019.

1. punkybrooster

punkybrooster In the Brooder

Sep 22, 2019
    Hey ya’ll! New member Kristi here, I recently started building my backyard flock in March of 2019. My goal was to have 6 bantam cochin HENS. I had no idea just how impossible and expensive my goal would become. Here it is the end of September, I have 3 bantam cochin HENS. I have one that turned out to be a cochin mix but she was the ONLY one from my first group of 4 chicks that ended up being female so she stays. I have purchased 21 birds since those original 4 chicks trying to get my flock of 6 and every chick and adolescent has been a rooster!! Hopefully one day I will have my dream girls...

I just copied the sample intro questions so here we go:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Yes and No. We had BBS/lavender bantam cochins on our farm when I was a kid but I wasn’t really responsible for them or anything. I just threw down scratch every once in a while and sold chicks at market in weekends with my dad. I’ve been missing the farm/country life alot lately so in March of 2019, I got my very own cochin chicks.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Right this minute I have 4 hens in the coop/yard and possibly 3 young cockerels in my basement

(3) What breeds do you have? I have 3 cochin bantam hens, one bantam cochin mix hen either with EE or d’uccle
    4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
    I like caring for them in general, from cleaning the coop to collecting eggs. I could just sit and watch them all day!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Playing bluegrass fiddle, gardening, antique restoration/repurposing, interior design
    (6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I have an English Shepherd and Great Pyrenees mix Jolene and an English Shepherd Roscoe, a Papillon named Tr’e and a tortoise shell cat named Squeeks. Happily married with no children.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
    Probably 6 months. I finally joined because every time I googled a chicken question, the answer would always be on BYC!

2. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Crowing

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    Great introduction! Welcome to our flock! You will find all your chicken answers here, as well as a great supportive community! Thanks for joining!

:jumpy:welcome:jumpy

3. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Gallus gallus domesticus

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    Hey there :frow.
    Happy to greet you. Peace be with you..:)

4. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

5. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Songster

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    Welcome to BYC Kristi! That’s a lot of roosters to deal with. I started getting new chicks this year. Now I have 19 cockerels and 10 pullets. I can’t give those little cuties away. ( serama, silkies, and Polish).

6. feathermaid

feathermaid Egg Obsessed

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
  7. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Free Ranging

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC!

8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! I hope that you get the right amount of girls that you want. Good luck!

9. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens this is a wonderful site enjoy

10. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: