New member! Just found a chicken

Welcome, GemmaA! How nice of you to rescue that little chick. Sighthounds have always been my favs. I had Irish Wolfhounds for 20 years and I got a beautiful black Greyhound through ReGAP (Retired Greyhounds as Pets) years ago. I wonder if the organization still exists?

ReGAP is still going strong! I have a friend who volunteered with and adopted from them a few years back. She still helps them out with fundraisers when she cans, even though she moved out of their area. :)
Wolfhounds are one of my all time favourite dogs! So beautiful and sweet natured. <3

Sometimes those are the breaks people find a nice animal who just needs to catch a break and is a breed that is unadoptable at the Humane society.

It's the sad side of fostering, for sure. :"/ You never know the background of the dog, what they went through, how it has affected them. I feel like 98% of the time, we're very lucky and something can be done, but that 2% is heartbreaking.

I would happily take her in if you can't find an owner, but I think I'm a bit far (Athens).

Athens is a little far, I think. Although maybe we can work something out! And, never fear, she's going in the shed each night at sunset. Gotta keep the little miss safe!

G’Day from down under GemmaA :frow Welcome!

Kudos to you for looking after the little lady! :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am blown away by the reception so far. Y'all are the nicest folk!

Happy Trails Farm Animal Sanctuary is the group that I was going to suggest you contact.

They were so helpful, and I now have an open invitation to visit and adopt hens when I'm ready, which I'm delighted about. :)

:welcome

Thanks for going the extra mile for the girl!

Happy to help her out!

We moved her from the shed back to her little makeshift run as the sun was rising. She is a happy thing! I put down a breakfast of diced squash and greens, and she still has some seed left from yesterday. Picked up some layers chicken mash this morning so she's getting some of that this afternoon. I also have some grapes and blueberries for her as treats, plus the mealworms. I won't feed all that at once, obviously! Don't want to make her sick.

The weather is terrible (cold and wet) and I feel so bad that she doesn't have a proper coop to rest in. :( If I could build something safe within the next few days, I would! I keep looking at coop designs and hoping I can sort something out but I'm not sure I have the time, and I am not handy at all (my husband does all the building and fixing usually). Sucks because I am already super fond of her. <3

No response to my 'found' listings so far.

ReGAP is still going strong! I have a friend who volunteered with and adopted from them a few years back. She still helps them out with fundraisers when she cans, even though she moved out of their area. :)
Wolfhounds are one of my all time favourite dogs! So beautiful and sweet natured. <3

It's the sad side of fostering, for sure. :"/ You never know the background of the dog, what they went through, how it has affected them. I feel like 98% of the time, we're very lucky and something can be done, but that 2% is heartbreaking.

Athens is a little far, I think. Although maybe we can work something out! And, never fear, she's going in the shed each night at sunset. Gotta keep the little miss safe!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am blown away by the reception so far. Y'all are the nicest folk!

They were so helpful, and I now have an open invitation to visit and adopt hens when I'm ready, which I'm delighted about. :)

Happy to help her out!

We moved her from the shed back to her little makeshift run as the sun was rising. She is a happy thing! I put down a breakfast of diced squash and greens, and she still has some seed left from yesterday. Picked up some layers chicken mash this morning so she's getting some of that this afternoon. I also have some grapes and blueberries for her as treats, plus the mealworms. I won't feed all that at once, obviously! Don't want to make her sick.

The weather is terrible (cold and wet) and I feel so bad that she doesn't have a proper coop to rest in. :( If I could build something safe within the next few days, I would! I keep looking at coop designs and hoping I can sort something out but I'm not sure I have the time, and I am not handy at all (my husband does all the building and fixing usually). Sucks because I am already super fond of her. <3

No response to my 'found' listings so far.
Other makeshift foods would include:
Stirring your compost pile if you have one and use a dustbuster to vaccume out all the beetles and roaches that come up, that or see if she is calm enough to sit on the compost and do her own digging. Any soft vegetable is well appreciated, cucumbers, squash, peas, corn, melon, pumpkin, I personally would love some good old fashioned rhubarb sauce from Ohio but raw rhubarb I bet too, papaya, mango, no citrus I've read but don't know why. Cactus tunas are a hit too but probably hard for you to come by.

Just my $.02.

Allen

Other makeshift foods would include:
Stirring your compost pile if you have one and use a dustbuster to vaccume out all the beetles and roaches that come up, that or see if she is calm enough to sit on the compost and do her own digging. Any soft vegetable is well appreciated, cucumbers, squash, peas, corn, melon, pumpkin, I personally would love some good old fashioned rhubarb sauce from Ohio but raw rhubarb I bet too, papaya, mango, no citrus I've read but don't know why. Cactus tunas are a hit too but probably hard for you to come by.

Just my $.02.

Allen

Thank you!! I am making a list of safe to feed items and this helps a great deal. :)

Bobette is doing well! She went nuts for the chicken crumble I bought, and has started coming towards me when I approach her run. She knows I am the bringer of food!

I have an old hutch at the back of my barn, which was here when we bought the house. it's in bad shape but I am going to see if I can rehab it into a small coop for her. it would be much better than what she has now, especially if I can attach a decent run to it. If I can get this done inexpensively and quickly, I might be able to convince my husband to let me keep her. He's totally onboard to keep chickens but the plan was to build a big coop together in the Spring; not scramble to sort something on the fly!

Attachments

• 20171024_183750.jpg
    20171024_183750.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20171024_183803.jpg
    20171024_183803.jpg
    821.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20171024_154835.jpg
    20171024_154835.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 5
Quick post to say Bobette went to live with a wonderful chicken crazy lady yesterday. :) She is such a sweet and knowledgeable keeper, and has even offered to foster Bobette until I can build a coop so I am really hoping to get that done ASAP as I miss that little hen already and would love to bring her back home.

Quick post to say Bobette went to live with a wonderful chicken crazy lady yesterday. :) She is such a sweet and knowledgeable keeper, and has even offered to foster Bobette until I can build a coop so I am really hoping to get that done ASAP as I miss that little hen already and would love to bring her back home.
Love "chicken crazy lady", sounds so much better than "crazy chicken lady"!! :thumbsup
Glad Bobette found a wonderful, and hopefully temporary, home.

Congrats to a good ending of the first chapter of your chicken keeping venture. If you do bring Bobette back to your home, see if you can bring a flock mate for her so she won't spend the winter alone.

I will definitely get her some other ladies to hang with. :)

Love "chicken crazy lady", sounds so much better than "crazy chicken lady"!! :thumbsup
Glad Bobette found a wonderful, and hopefully temporary, home.

Bobette hit the jackpot! Her foster mum is just amazing. I'm very grateful to her.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you've joined us! Such a sweet story! I hope you can get a coop together and bring Bobette back :)

The husbeast has approved the plans I brought to him so now it's just a matter of getting the materials and finding the time! Bobette will be in quarantine at her foster home for a month so that's the deadline I am working towards.

Thanks again for all the encouragement! This is a great community. <3

Back
Top Bottom