New member! Just found a chicken

You're sweet! She is safe and cozy. :)

Aww, thank you! Fostering is very rewarding but it does have its challenges. Our very first foster greyhound became our very first greyhound! He was perfect and lived to be 12. We specialized in the hard to place dogs; those with behavioural issues or an abusive past (hoarding cases, Guam dogs, etc). I took a break for a couple of years because the hard cases affect you the most. <3 Happy to be back to it!

edit-nothing chicken related in my post its doggie stuff.

We have yet to not cry sending our fosters away. But we are out of the game for a while after the last one turned from a sweet little emaciated pitty into a killing machine that had to be put down after 1 week of vetting/food. That one set us back over $1K in vet expenses to heal her victim(my alpha lady) up.

edit-nothing chicken related in my post its doggie stuff.

We have yet to not cry sending our fosters away. But we are out of the game for a while after the last one turned from a sweet little emaciated pitty into a killing machine that had to be put down after 1 week of vetting/food. That one set us back over $1K in vet expenses to heal her victim(my alpha lady) up.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! What a nightmare. :(

Welcome, GemmaA! How nice of you to rescue that little chick. Sighthounds have always been my favs. I had Irish Wolfhounds for 20 years and I got a beautiful black Greyhound through ReGAP (Retired Greyhounds as Pets) years ago. I wonder if the organization still exists? I used to hear horror stories of piles of dead track greyhounds found in Florida. I also had a lovely black Afghan Hound. Now I have a PBGV, her size fits my lifestyle a little better than the giants. Closest I could find to a breed having the heart of a wolfhound. :love

Good luck finding a good home for your little friend, she was lucky you found her!

Sometimes those are the breaks people find a nice animal who just needs to catch a break and is a breed that is unadoptable at the Humane society. She was a sweetie who smelled horrible, had basically every parasite imaginable to include coccidosis but a very sweet disposition. By 5 days in we were getting a bit uncomfortable with some of her behaviors and were working the lines looking for pitty rescue groups and didn't get any nibbles at all and 2 days later chance had my matron outside, while the pitty (Mia) her antibiotic pill fell under the dog run gate which I opened to retrieve.....was just a horrible set of conditions that they met. Regardless, everyone came out fine except the pittie as she became very unsuited to fostering or for adoption purposes so SPCA put her down for us.

Welcome, GemmaA! How nice of you to rescue that little chick. Sighthounds have always been my favs. I had Irish Wolfhounds for 20 years and I got a beautiful black Greyhound through ReGAP (Retired Greyhounds as Pets) years ago. I wonder if the organization still exists? I used to hear horror stories of piles of dead track greyhounds found in Florida. I also had a lovely black Afghan Hound. Now I have a PBGV, her size fits my lifestyle a little better than the giants. Closest I could find to a breed having the heart of a wolfhound. :love

Good luck finding a good home for your little friend, she was lucky you found her!
Wolfhounds I have always wanted one. They are such sweathearts have yet to meet one I didn't love.

I would happily take her in if you can't find an owner, but I think I'm a bit far (Athens). I still have no idea which cities are where (moved here from California two months ago) and my internet is fighting with Google maps right now so I can't double check the distance. :p

That looks like a nice little setup for her. Since you foster I'm sure you have dog crates. In order to keep her safe at night, it might be best to just put her in a crate in the garage around sunset. That way you won't have to worry about pesky raccoons. :)

I would happily take her in if you can't find an owner, but I think I'm a bit far (Athens). I still have no idea which cities are where (moved here from California two months ago) and my internet is fighting with Google maps right now so I can't double check the distance. :p

That looks like a nice little setup for her. Since you foster I'm sure you have dog crates. In order to keep her safe at night, it might be best to just put her in a crate in the garage around sunset. That way you won't have to worry about pesky raccoons. :)
only three hours north to Akron from athens, almost like taking a trip to Walmart by texas standards! Wouldn't you agree @RUNuts and @KikisGirls ?

Welcome Cool.gif
Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

I saw a chicken walking on a sidewalk last week. I am at limit though and it looked kind of wild so I left it be. You did better than me!

:yesss:

She is super sweet! Her little noises are adorable. Ohio to Cali is quite the change! I did an exchange year at UCSB many moons ago and had a blast. :)

I have a very large and secure shed out back. I am going to try to catch her and move her in there overnight. It might be a bit stressful for her but it seems like it will be safer to lock her up at night and then put her in my temporary pen during the day time.

The helpful lady at Happy Trails Farm Sanctuary is who suggested that to me. I didn't even consider such a thing! I'm still holding out hope someone is looking for her.
Happy Trails Farm Animal Sanctuary is the group that I was going to suggest you contact. They do great work & we just adopted 7 hens from them a couple of months ago because we liked the idea of helping hens in need of a forever home instead of going the Hatchery//local feed store route.

We'd definitely adopt from them again in the future, as they do great things for animals.

I hope that you are able to find the little hen a new home. Thank you for taking her in, even if it's only for a little while. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom