New member questions!

cjsk

In the Brooder
May 22, 2017
I'm currently raising some quail. They hatched a few days ago, but now one is acting oddly. Very lethargic, and favoring it's right side. It spends a lot of time calling and "twirling" around, and will eventually lay on its right side or back. I'm not sure what's wrong.

I'm currently raising some quail. They hatched a few days ago, but now one is acting oddly. Very lethargic, and favoring it's right side. It spends a lot of time calling and "twirling" around, and will eventually lay on its right side or back. I'm not sure what's wrong.
Been a lot of years since I hatched any quail, so I can't give you a direct answer. I seem to recall, though, that they're pretty fragile when they're mere days old. I know I bought 60, 40 hatched, & I managed to save less than a dozen....the rest got chilled.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sounds like the little guy needs vitamins. Especially B's and E. I would start with some warm, hard boiled eggs. All the building blocks of life are in an egg. Birds can live on eggs exclusively for long periods of time, great emergency food. Next I would get some Poly Vi Sol (WITHOUT iron) one drop orally a day for a week. Sounds the little guy is Star Gazing which is usually caused by vitamin deficiencies.

However definitely post in our Quail section as well, Ol Grey Mare has left you with the link.

Good luck with your quail babies and welcome to our roost!! :)

Back
Top Bottom