New member: This looks like a great site to learn about chickens.

jbahros

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
Norwell, Massachusetts
I ordered 8 chicks (hens) which will arrive on 4/29. Im looking for advice about buying/building a chicken coop/run. We have 2 acres in New England, mostly grass, some gardens, some weeds in suburbs. I have a coop for 8-10 chickens on order which should come to tractor supply this week. I also could hire someone to build a coop/run. Any ideas? Im thinking of 6 x 12 run with roof, fabric mesh, all around and on edge to keep out predators: for us that is hawks, weasels, coyote, snakes ( maybe), raccoon. I would like something that is sturdy, respectable looking, but hopefully will not break the bank. It seems like a shed/ coop combo with attached run would be best. Any ideas on plans, kits, etc. Also any idea on approximate price I should be thinking about? Thank you so much.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
CANCEL THE ORDER!! If the advertising said the coop was good for 6-8, the coop itself will be good for 2-3 and the run will be good for 1 or two depending on the design.
A shed to coop conversion is a great idea. That's what I did and I love it.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
CANCEL THE ORDER!! If the advertising said the coop was good for 6-8, the coop itself will be good for 2-3 and the run will be good for 1 or two depending on the design.
A shed to coop conversion is a great idea. That's what I did and I love it.
Thank so much for the lightening quick response. Do you have any ideas for building plans? Did you build your own coop? I wish I could but Im not very handy. I am so excited about the chickens!!

Thank so much for the lightening quick response. Do you have any ideas for building plans? Did you build your own coop? I wish I could but Im not very handy. I am so excited about the chickens!!
Convert part of a large shed or all of a small shed into a coop.
I built my first one from scratch. Didn't really like it so converted a shed into my new coop.
Click on the My Coop link in my avatar and it will lead you to my coop build article. I give pretty detailed instructions on how I did the work and included a floor plan.

Back
Top Bottom