New Member with questions!!!

we got 5 of them that are about 7 weeks old now. they are really great when i squat down they will climb all over me :)

I am planning of putting in a chicken coop big enough for only 3 - 4 chickens. Big round Orpingtons are what I am planning on housing ( love them...they are like basketballs with legs!!) Any suggestions on what size coop I sould invest in?

:yuckyuck

:welcome If you have a big enough enclosure they don't need to free range. For roaming space, it's recommended 10 square feet per bird. So minimum 14 per bird if you want to keep them in!

Hello Anaples! Greetings from Kentucky... Congratulations on getting your Orpingtons! Are they the buff color Orpington? We have four Buff Orpingtons and they truly are among our favorites. Such calm & gentle birds. They also seem to get along rather well with our other various breeds. We do let ours free range some during the evening hours while we are at home and are able to be outside with them.

Last edited:
Hello Kentucky!
I haven't gotten them yet, we are planning our coop first, but have been researching chickens and they seem to be my favorite so far. I have a 3 year old that loves them. A lady down the road has one that follows her around.
Question: Do you put anything on the ground in the enclosure around the coop? I was thinking of pinestraw or bedding chips....I noticed they loved to scratch and sit in her pinestraw when they are out and about. She doesn't have an enclosure so I wasn't sure.
Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom