Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aliren, Jan 30, 2016.

1. aliren

aliren Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2016
    Midlands uk
    Hi, I'm Alison from the uk , I have 4 ex battery hens and just taken on 2 ex barn hens. The poor barn hens are so scared going to take a long time to get them to mix with the others. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Alison form Yorkshire UK

Glad you could join the flock! That's so nice of you take all these girls in :hugs I'm sure with lots of care and reassurance form you they will come round and be happy ladies soon. I'm sure it's very scary for them moving when they have had such a hard life being kept on a commercial basis.
    I'm sure with lots of time and patience you will get everyone intergrated together.
    Here is a lovely article on introducing new birds ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello Alison!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

4. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Welcome to the forum![​IMG]

5. aliren

Jan 30, 2016
    Midlands uk
    The new hens have been in there own coop with a run inside the larger pen, it's been 3 weeks , and they still run and hide into the coop if any of the other hen go near, then won't come out for ages, should I just leave them until there happy seeing the other hens before letting them out? I have tried a few times and the others won't to bad with them , but the new hens where just so scared , one had got herself under the ladder to her coop and flatten herself hiding her head, I thought she was dead! But I opened the coop and she ran in , is that normal

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    For now I would just let them be in their own coop etc. Obviously they had a very traumatic life before you stepped in. Being treated kindly will bring them around, especially when(if) spring ever arrives. You might try putting out an especially yummy treat for them - just outside the coop door, in the morning - they may decide it's worth sticking their neck out to try some. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Alison, [​IMG]

Give the new girls plenty of time, they'll come around once they feel at home.

Good luck with all your birds and thanks for joining us!

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Alison and welcome to our community. Already some great advice, so i'm just saying a big hello [​IMG]

Good luck and all the best

CT

10. aliren

Jan 30, 2016
    Midlands uk
    Thanks for all the advice , and big hello back to everyone,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by