New member!

LoriaHaven

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2018
Magalia, California
Hello! I just signed on. I have had chickens for the past 3 years and they have been doing well, so I guess I am a good chicken mom. This past weekend we went away and came home to find a gorgeous young rooster just strutting his stuff in my yard. Needless to say I fear for the virginity of my 5 ladies. This young cock seems to have some damage to his comb and wattle, so I am assuming he escaped his own flock and found a haven with mine. I am ready to go to the next step of chicken-mom and allow nature to take Her course. I want to learn more about how chickens develop in the wild, as opposed to incubation and tender care.

I live in Northern California, at the southern end of the Lassen National Forest, and have trees older than the USA in my front yard. I grow a lot of my own vegetables and have a variety of fruit and nut trees on my property. Looking forward to "talking chicken" with everyone.

Welcome to BYC. If he has had access to your 'girls', their virginity is no longer an issue.
LOL. He has. I have even caught him in the act with one of my Reds. Now...the question is what do I do about potential chicks. It is still pretty cold up here now (not Mid-West cold by any means, but still...we are expected to have the first hard freeze of the year starting on Sunday for most of next week). Is there a possibility of chicks from eggs laid now?

2018-02-12 Pretty Boy.jpg
Here is the bright young man who has taken a shine to my girls.

Attachments

• 2018-02-12 the flock.jpg
    2018-02-12 the flock.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom