Rhoade island Peepers

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2019
Michigan
Hi my name is Emily. I have a Rhode Island Red. Her name is Peepers. She is around 6 months old.
She laid her first egg and second egg, Saturday January 5th, 2019. She hasn’t laid again since. It’s currently Thursday January 10th, 2019. I’m worried.

48269387-0F78-4CBC-95E9-61938B058C0A.jpeg

984498ED-079B-4F6A-BEC4-22A5B1AA89AD.jpeg

075AAC7A-D425-4D9D-AF2D-BDDFEEDB3C1A.jpeg

connie-computer-chick.gif

hithere.gif
Beautiful eggs! Yes, like others have said, providing a calcium supplement may be beneficial. I've always provided oyster shell... it's readily available at any farm store where you would buy her feed. She's old enough to be eating a Layer Feed or you could even give her a Flock Raiser (higher protein content) as long as you definitely give oyster shell on the side. It takes a lot of protein and calcium from a chickens body to make eggs.

That cage is pretty small to keep her in, almost like a battery hen cage. Two hours a day isn't enough time to roam around. You might want to consider moving her outside and getting a coop with a run, and maybe a friend or two. Each chicken needs at least 10-15 square feet of space to stay healthy. The only time to really be confined in such a tiny area is at night while sleeping/roosting.

Dust bathing is also really important to maintain healthy skin and feathers, and to keep parasites away. If she also has a separate place to lay eggs (nest box) and to sleep (on a perch) she might be happier.

If you want to keep her as a house pet, you'll still need to give her a bit more room. Chickens do not do well in small areas, not like a parrot in a cage.
You might find these threads interesting to read:
Chickens as House Pets? Opinions and Views
House Chickens thread for people that have them
People with house chickens

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom