Carolekat12

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2019
Hi, I am a new member and early this year my husband bought five Peking bantams who are lovely backyard pets. Yesterday Chocolate was diagnosed with gate worm which is very worrying, but she has seen a vet and they are all now on worm medication.......I am hoping and praying that she will survive this disturbing illness. Has anyone else had experience of this - I had not heard of it before. Also chocolate has lots of scales on her feet missing so the vet advised us to cover them in Vaseline.

Welcome to the flock!

Is it gape worm your chicken has? I don’t have experience with it, but you can post a thread over on the emergencies thread or do a search for gape worm to get more specific info. People who are really skilled at chicken illnesses and injuries check that thread and might not look here.

So glad to have you here!

Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here. Not had any experience of the kind of worms you mention.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States, UK, Europe, Australia, Canada (for other countries, check here - Where am I? Where are you!)

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hello, Carol, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I've not treated for gape worm but I'm sure your vet has prescribed the correct wormer for your flock so just follow the instructions.
Are any of the remaining leg scales raised? Treating for scaly leg mites won't hurt so go ahead and dip the legs in linseed, mineral or vegetable oil, wipe off the excess then slather the legs with petroleum jelly. Reapply the petroleum jelly several times a week until the scales look normal again.

Back
Top Bottom