Hi. I live in Texas and I am new to raising chickens. My 7 ladies are 1 year old today. The group includes 1 Golden Sex Link , 3 Americanas and 3 silver Laced Wyandotte's. I have been having a problem with them picking each other for about 3 months. I have tried the Pick no More products on them and the blue clot spray. I have used aprons, changed to a higher protein feed , which I leave out all day and I have made many ladders and things for them to perch on. My coop is on a 15' x 10' concrete pad that is inclosed with a roof and chicken wire. I have thick plastic on the north side at this time to block the cold wind. There is a tunnel from this pen that connects to a 15' x 10' run, it also has a wire cover on top. I give them veggies, alfa or meal worm treats once a day. I have started letting them free range about 30 minutes each day when I am outside with them. We have a lot of hawks and coyotes in our area so I don't want to leave them out unattended. They seem to be going in a cycle of picking. They stop for a few days and they look better, then it starts again. I'm at my wits end and I don't know what to do next. Does anyone have any advice for me?
IMG_3218.jpg
IMG_3219.jpg
IMG_3220.jpg

I posted some pictures. Since I'm new, I'm not sure if I posted them the correct way. Let me know if You can't see them. Thanks!
Thanks!
Your coop looks too small for that many birds...that might be part of your problem.

I think they are eating the feathers. They have plenty of space, plenty of perches and toys, I have 24% protein feed out all day for them. I also put out chicken scratch and some meal worms mid morning and some kind of veggie/alfalfa mid afternoon.
Space could be an issue, many of these problems start out as boredom. Even stress can start them in on these habits.

24% protein is a bit high for standard layers. If they don't like the feed, they may not eat enough of it making them develop dietary deficiencies. Layers only need between 15%and 17% protein in their diet. I would skip the mealworms on such a high protein diet.

Greens are great to feed. Lots of trace minerals they dont otherwise get in their feed. Helps with boredom if you hang cabbages or put leafy greens in a suet cage to pick at all day. Alfalfa is also wonderful to free feed.

I posted some pictures. Since I'm new, I'm not sure if I posted them the correct way. Let me know if You can't see them. Thanks!
Thanks!
Your coop looks too small for that many birds...that might be part of your problem.
You think so? I got it from Tractor Supply and its suppose to be big enough for 15 chickens and I only have 7.

View attachment 2031596

It looks like a nice setup!

I see a lot of feathers on your hens
They are pecking each other on their bottoms and two have a small patch on their top at the base of their tail feathers. I had aprons on those two for two weeks and their feathers had started growing back. I took the aprons off last weekend and now they have been pecked on again.

What's the measurements on it?
About how many feet long and wide?
The concrete pad pen is
Thanks!
Thanks!

It's 74" long, 60" wide, 72 1/2" tall. 5 nesting boxes, 2 rows of roosting boards.

Back
Top Bottom