salimben60

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2020
Hello Chicken family,

I recently purchased a house that came with three chickens. I let the chickens out of the run but they messed up the garden so I want to start locking them in.
Now, every morning they cry like crazy as soon as they wake up so I can open the run.

Any advice on how to stop them from crying as soon as they wake up. I also don't want to get them in the habit of leaving their run.
  1. I tried splashing water with a hose everytime they cried but didn't work.
  2. I covered their coop with dark cloth so they slept longer ( it worked but I have to go every night to do it and morning to open it).

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_192806.jpg
    IMG_20200405_192806.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 11
I would suggest building a predator proof run for them to come in and out as they please, while being protected.

x2. That's a very tiny "run" they're in, so no wonder they're upset. Not sure how much space you have to work with but since there's a garden bed right there, you might need to move things around to open up space for a suitable run. Doesn't have to be fancy, but definitely bigger than what they currently have.

x2. That's a very tiny "run" they're in, so no wonder they're upset. Not sure how much space you have to work with but since there's a garden bed right there, you might need to move things around to open up space for a suitable run. Doesn't have to be fancy, but definitely bigger than what they currently have.

I see, I was planning on making the little playground as their coop, removing the coop, and extending the run (something like in the picture). It is a lot of work and bit expensive since I will need to get pressure treated wood but might be worth it.

Thanks for your feedback, I didnt know that the run was too small. If I make the changes, then do I see need to let them out in the garden or that would be enough?

Attachments

• modified coop.jpg
    modified coop.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 2
I would suggest building a predator proof run for them to come in and out as they please, while being protected.
Agree, that will make it less work for me too :). I responded on the comment below with how I am planning on doing it

Thanks for your feedback, I didnt know that the run was too small. If I make the changes, then do I see need to let them out in the garden or that would be enough?

That could work... the space under the playhouse would be usable too if you fence that in along with the rest.

Get a measuring tape and see how big the actual space is - the minimum for 3 chickens is 30 sq ft but obviously more would be better. Assuming it's a little more than that, they should be able to remain inside the run full time, especially if you can throw in some stuff for them to occupy themselves with - bags of dried leaves, some branches or a wood ladder as perches to climb on, etc.

And I agree that leaving some space between the coop/run and the wall is a good idea, for maintenance and to keep pests from wedging themselves into a spot you can't reach.

That could work... the space under the playhouse would be usable too if you fence that in along with the rest.

Get a measuring tape and see how big the actual space is - the minimum for 3 chickens is 30 sq ft but obviously more would be better. Assuming it's a little more than that, they should be able to remain inside the run full time, especially if you can throw in some stuff for them to occupy themselves with - bags of dried leaves, some branches or a wood ladder as perches to climb on, etc.

And I agree that leaving some space between the coop/run and the wall is a good idea, for maintenance and to keep pests from wedging themselves into a spot you can't reach.
Awesome ! Really appreciate your feedback, I have been stressing out about this for the last couple of weeks. I took some measurements, the current run is 9ft x 6ft, the extended version (all the way from end to end, including the bottom space would be 22ft x6ft). I think that should be good for my three chickens and maybe 2 additional chicks that I am planning on getting).
Yes, I give them lots of compose food, leftovers, and I go to the market and get a $1 bag with older fruits ( got them a melon this week).
For the spacing, yes definetly, I see rats every single night and lots of them. That is why I am trying to make these changes ASAP (plus WFH right now).

Awesome ! Really appreciate your feedback, I have been stressing out about this for the last couple of weeks. I took some measurements, the current run is 9ft x 6ft, the extended version (all the way from end to end, including the bottom space would be 22ft x6ft). I think that should be good for my three chickens and maybe 2 additional chicks that I am planning on getting).
Yes, I give them lots of compose food, leftovers, and I go to the market and get a $1 bag with older fruits ( got them a melon this week).
For the spacing, yes definetly, I see rats every single night and lots of them. That is why I am trying to make these changes ASAP (plus WFH right now).

Definite improvement on run size if you can expand it the way you've described!

I prefer giving chickens stuff to interact with that's not food (some treats are fine but too many and they won't eat their feed properly), so consider some clutter like the perches, some old patio furniture or planted pots, etc, that they can go around, under, on top of.

Because of the rats, I'd be cautious about how much food/snack waste is left out in the run. Like I'd pick up and toss the melon rind at the end of the day, that sort of thing.

Not sure if there's space to do this, but consider aproning around the perimeter of your new run set up with hardware cloth or welded wire no larger than 1/2" - it'll help deter rats from burrowing into the run.

Definite improvement on run size if you can expand it the way you've described!

I prefer giving chickens stuff to interact with that's not food (some treats are fine but too many and they won't eat their feed properly), so consider some clutter like the perches, some old patio furniture or planted pots, etc, that they can go around, under, on top of.

Because of the rats, I'd be cautious about how much food/snack waste is left out in the run. Like I'd pick up and toss the melon rind at the end of the day, that sort of thing.

Not sure if there's space to do this, but consider aproning around the perimeter of your new run set up with hardware cloth or welded wire no larger than 1/2" - it'll help deter rats from burrowing into the run.
Nice the food is my next thing to worry about after I get this sorted, I definitely didn't do the right thing. I will fix them a tiny perch with the extra wood I have leftover ( sometimes I get free homedepot leftover wood for free or 70%off, which can be perfect for this.

Hoping to make the run completely closed just like what it is right now. I actually put solar lights and that is how I caught the rat going in from a tiny hole between the door and wood(I covered it now). Since I have more time now, I remove the food every night and put it back.cant believe how rats find space

Hoping to make the run completely closed just like what it is right now. I actually put solar lights and that is how I caught the rat going in from a tiny hole between the door and wood(I covered it now). Since I have more time now, I remove the food every night and put it back.cant believe how rats find space

If it's safe to do so (don't know if you have outdoor cat/dog or kids) I'd start putting out traps. Rats are pretty clever, so it may take some time to catch 'em.

Back
Top Bottom