Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DeansMill, Sep 10, 2014.

1. DeansMill

DeansMill Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2014
    Near Albany, NY
    Hi I have been reading and reading about chickens and have been working on a nice coop from an out building on our property, but I still need chickens!!! I am in love with the look of the Delaware and Welsummer breeds, but also wouldn't mind Rhode island red, buff Orpington, etc. I am just scared to get chicks abd I just had a baby so people are telling me I can't keep chicks in the house... so now I want to just buy some pullets and maybe a Delaware rooster??

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG]

3. DeansMill

DeansMill Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2014
    Near Albany, NY
    Thanks, lol

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to back yard chickens. I know a lot of women end up doing the chicken chores and many of them have young children but, I'd rather have them speak for themselves. It doesn't appear to throw a wrench in their plans. I would think good basic hygiene is what is needed. When your child is old enough to mingle with chicks, make sure he washes his hands. He should not kiss the chicks, nor hold them near his face. Chicks/chickens are attracted to shiny things like eyeballs so some goggles or safety glasses are a good idea.

Do you intend to have fertile eggs for hatching? If not, there really isn't a pressing need to have a rooster.. Hens will lay just as many eggs without one- possibly more because an over zealous rooster isn't stressing them. Some roosters tend to get very protective of their flock and aggressive to trespassers. Children are one of their favorite targets because they are lower to the ground and make unexpected movements and vocal noises. A rooster can do a great deal of harm pecking, flogging and spurring their victims.

With children in mind,you may want to consider docile breeds for your first flock. Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Cochins etc.

I'm sure the next responders will have something to add to the mix. BTW Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Definitely stop by your state thread and chat with the locals. Maybe someone nearby can help you locate some pullets or layers.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations on the new baby. With children around, I would be sure and get a very docile and gentle breed. Delawares are pretty docile. Other breeds you might want of consider with well earned reputations for being calm and gentle are Australorps, Orpingtons (which you mentioned), Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. I would avoid getting a Rhode Island Red as they can be aggressive (especially the roosters). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by