DeansMill

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Near Albany, NY
Hi I have been reading and reading about chickens and have been working on a nice coop from an out building on our property, but I still need chickens!!! I am in love with the look of the Delaware and Welsummer breeds, but also wouldn't mind Rhode island red, buff Orpington, etc. I am just scared to get chicks abd I just had a baby so people are telling me I can't keep chicks in the house... so now I want to just buy some pullets and maybe a Delaware rooster??

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to back yard chickens. I know a lot of women end up doing the chicken chores and many of them have young children but, I'd rather have them speak for themselves. It doesn't appear to throw a wrench in their plans. I would think good basic hygiene is what is needed. When your child is old enough to mingle with chicks, make sure he washes his hands. He should not kiss the chicks, nor hold them near his face. Chicks/chickens are attracted to shiny things like eyeballs so some goggles or safety glasses are a good idea.

Do you intend to have fertile eggs for hatching? If not, there really isn't a pressing need to have a rooster.. Hens will lay just as many eggs without one- possibly more because an over zealous rooster isn't stressing them. Some roosters tend to get very protective of their flock and aggressive to trespassers. Children are one of their favorite targets because they are lower to the ground and make unexpected movements and vocal noises. A rooster can do a great deal of harm pecking, flogging and spurring their victims.

With children in mind,you may want to consider docile breeds for your first flock. Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Cochins etc.

I'm sure the next responders will have something to add to the mix. BTW Glad you joined the flock
wee.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Definitely stop by your state thread and chat with the locals. Maybe someone nearby can help you locate some pullets or layers.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations on the new baby. With children around, I would be sure and get a very docile and gentle breed. Delawares are pretty docile. Other breeds you might want of consider with well earned reputations for being calm and gentle are Australorps, Orpingtons (which you mentioned), Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. I would avoid getting a Rhode Island Red as they can be aggressive (especially the roosters). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

Back
Top Bottom